Hammer and Chisel VERSUS P90X3 ?

Options
HI guys !

I have gotten a lot of great advice and support on here so here I go with another question...

I have been on my journey 101 days today, the first 75 ish I was doing cardio only and lost about 28 pounds. On March 28th I started my first strength training ever, Chalean Extreme. It is a 3 phase (3 month program). I have the first must almost finished and am feeling SO AWESOME ! The scale has moved much (2 pounds) but I have gotten down a size in my work suits. (I am measurig on tuesday)

Oh this is me :smile: 43 y/o, 5'5''
SW 225
CW 195
GW 150? 145 ? Don't know

So,
My question now is : WHAT STRENGTH PROGRAM SHOULD I DO AFTER CHALEAN EXTREME ?

What are your experiences with either of the title mentionned programs ?
Which would best suit my current goals which is obviously to continue burning fat while working on maintaining (well building is the ultimate dream but I realize that on a calrie deficit, may not actually be realistic) muscle.
Any preferences ?

Thanx for all your input !

Krys

Replies

• ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I did both of these programs within the past year. Feel free to friend me if you want more detailed advice. P90x3 was what I used to get back into working out post baby. It wasn't my favorite program, but the 30min workouts were what i needed to become consistent with an infant. There is a lot more total body moves, some are complicated. But I love the 'recovery' type workouts (yoga, pilates, dynamix, isometrix) and still add these into other programs.

Hammer and Chisel is tough. But I was trying to up weights all the time and really build strength. Some workouts are closer to 40 min with the occasional 50 min day when doing abs. But the shortest workout is about 22 min. Obviously there is a lot of weight lifting, but also one day without any weights (agility). It's best to have a workout bench also, the moves are definitely better with one. I saw great results with H&C but I also followed the meal plan better than I did with X3. I plan on repeating H&C later this summer with a designated yoga/pilates day a week, and I don't ever plan on repeating X3 in its entirety (and I'm a huge Tony Horton fan).
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks !
    Friend request sent :smile:

You mention the bench.
    I read I can modify and use a stability ball...
    I could get a bench, but I was thinking the ball would work my core and stability muscles at the same time...

Thoughts ?
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I sent you a message but didn't see this first. Yes, definitely a ball will be harder for some exercises. But there are a lot that involve stepping up or down on the bench. the modifier without a bench is just knee raise ups or backward lunges. I know some people use stable ottomans too. So you could find something stable to step up on.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can't offer a comparison, but today is Day 1 of Hammer and Chisel for me.

The other piece of equipment besides a bench (or stability ball) is a chin up/pull up bar or resistance bands for the door. My space is in the basement so I went with the bar.

Been previewing the DVD's, looks like it's going to be a good challenge. Have fun!
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    That sounds great !
    Let me know how you fid it :smile:

I bought my stability ball this weekend and will also use the resistance bands instead of the bars (to start)

This lifting thing is addictive huh !?!
    :wink:
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    That sounds great !
    Let me know how you fid it :smile:

I bought my stability ball this weekend and will also use the resistance bands instead of the bars (to start)

This lifting thing is addictive huh !?!
    :wink:

I'm on Day 5... am loving every minute of it. It helps if you can find the humor in Sagi. I've read many get annoyed by him. I did at first, now I find him funny.

A total "kick in the behind" program which I can envision repeating after the first 60 days is over.

Good luck!
  • ilovecereal82
    ilovecereal82 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oooooooh I love my my x3