Abs are made in the kitchen?

Options
heard that abs are made in the kitchen but what exactly do I need to be eating to flatten my stomach/waist?

Replies

• Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What it means is that you won't see abs until your body fat % is low enough. There is nothing specific to eat (and no exercises, either) that will make a six-pack appear until the overlying fat is cleared off. Just keep eating at a deficit and eventually it will clear off your tummy too.
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Everybody has abs under the layer of fat. Just eat clean and do abs to make them stronger. Remember to work all the ab muscles every time.. Once the fat is gone you'll get that flat sexy stomach :) good luck
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Also, there is no specific food to flatten the stomach: In addition to the deficit and excercise, having a late healthy snack and a really light dinner (vegetables and egg whites) does wonders. I swear by this rule, personnaly. Everybody is diffrent!
  • Nonya81
    Options
    How much of a deficit should I be eating? I was at 1200 calories but recently upped it to 1500-1600 so im not sure if that is too much or not enough.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Is it working for you? Numbers churned out by a computer only give you a starting place - you need to experiment and make changes based on how your body responds.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that women don't tend to naturally have visible abs. It can be done, and there are lots of pictures of women with abs. As others have said, you do need low body fat for the abs to show. I've been very fit when I was younger with very strong abs and a 23" waist - my tummy was flat, but no visible abs. Just saying that it isn't necessarily a goal for everybody. You can be perfectly fit and healthy and slim without visible abs.
  • Nonya81
    Options
    Im not really trying to get a six pack, just a flat stomach so when i wear cute maxi dresses, I dont look like im pregnant. Im ok with the rest of my body but its so frustrating trying to get rid of this pooch.
    I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my question :-)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I ate roughly 1400 to 1500 calories per day, and averaged a 2 to 2.5lb a week loss over the period of a year. I ate plenty of fruits and vegetables, and cut out sugar soda, and fast food.

I was also exercising 5x a week for an hour each time, which included both cardio and strength training.

I know my results aren't typical, but based on my own experience, you should lose fine on 1500 to 1600 calories.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    heard that abs are made in the kitchen but what exactly do I need to be eating to flatten my stomach/waist?

Eating less calories than you burn.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Pop Tarts!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    less calories than you burn
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I always wondered this myself..lol
  • Nonya81
    Options

Pop Tarts!

Seems legit!
  • RelativeChaos00
    RelativeChaos00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A safe and healthy calorie deficit is 300-500 calories under your maintenance, or what it would take to maintain your current weight, if you have a BMI under 35.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Abs are built in the gym. They are revealed in the kitchen. All it means is eating at a deficit to burn fat and consuming enough protein to retain the muscle. There is no special food or category of foods that you must or must not eat. I have the beginnings of abs. I eat tons of red meat and tons of sugar (yes, even Pop Tarts on occasion). I also eat at a deficit and lift heavy weights.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    LIVESTRONG.COM says
    fruits and veggies
    whole grains
    lean meats
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Alternative Proteins

Protein is essential for losing weight in the midsection. Beans are a great source of protein, and, according to the Peer Trainer website, one serving of beans has the same amount of protein as a serving of meat --- and contains less fat and more fiber. Low-fat cheeses are also a great way to get protein into your diet. Go for white cheeses, like mozzarella string cheese and cottage cheese, which usually have fewer calories.

Portion Control

Portion control is crucial for those trying to flatten their stomachs. Do not over-indulge at mealtime. Try sharing meals, skipping dessert and limiting alcohol. It is OK to treat yourself occasionally --- just do so in moderation to keep your waistline shrinking.

FROM LIVESTRONG>COM
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Im not really trying to get a six pack, just a flat stomach so when i wear cute maxi dresses, I dont look like im pregnant. Im ok with the rest of my body but its so frustrating trying to get rid of this pooch.
    I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my question :-)

Check out Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred -- Level 1 on You Tube ... a reverse crunch is what she says will get rid of that 'pooch'. I started it on July 1 ... working towards a healthier me.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    I don't believe in that theory..............