Eat Barley: Bob Harpers recommendation from the Skinny Rules

Options
Has anyone added Barley to their diet? Bob mentions the benefits of it in The Skinny Rules. I went out and bought some Pearled Barley last night. When is the best time to eat it (what meal) and how much should i be eating a day? Can i mix it with my Oatmeal in the morning?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just make it fit. There is nothing special about it. If you like it, eat it. If you don't, don't. Barley is carb heavy with some fat and a good amount of protein. I think it's around 375 calories for 100 grams.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat it sometimes. It's just a grain--use as you would corn or rice or quinoa or the like. I would have it as a starchy side or in a soup. I don't believe it has any special properties, probably a nice amount of fiber. Might taste good mixed with oatmeal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat barley sometimes. It's good in vegetable soup. The best meal to eat it at is the meal where it fits whatever dish you put it in. The amount you should be eating per day is the amount you want that also fits into your calorie goals.

There's no magic weight loss factor to it. It's just a tasty grain.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Awe yes, it has a good amount of fiber as well as @lemurcat12 mentioned.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My mom and grandma always put it in our homemade vegetable soup.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's just like any other grain. You can sweeten it for a breakfast food, use it in lieu of rice, etc.