I can't run

Options
My question is: why can't I run? Like I can run for about 30 seconds on the treadmill but anymore than that my chest feels like it's going to explode and my breathing gets extremely difficult. My legs feel fine when I'm running indicating that I could run for a lot longer which I really want to but I just can't catch a breath! I tried to run at slower speeds and higher speeds but I still feel the same. I can't run.

I'm in my early 20's and weigh 207 lbs

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think it will get easier as you lose weight but I have a hard time running on a treadmill at any weight. I would much rather run outside.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    It could be a matter of endurance and just needing more training. You should also look online at proper breathing techniques for running. Sometimes if I don't pay attention, I start breathing shallowly and wear out much more quickly than if I am breathing correctly.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    It could be a matter of endurance and just needing more training. I agree with @janejellyroll about doing a run/walk combo. You should also look online at proper breathing techniques for running. Sometimes if I don't pay attention, I start breathing shallowly and wear out much more quickly than if I am breathing correctly.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Neither can I BUT I can squat my weight all day. How does that work?
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think it will get easier as you lose weight but I have a hard time running on a treadmill at any weight. I would much rather run outside.

Hey! When I was 40lbs heavier I couldn't run so I thought it would be easier now but it's just the same lol guess I'll have to lose more weight. thanks for the advice :)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? If you're having chest pain you might need to have your cardiac function evaluated. It might not be safe for you to run right now. Having that bad of pain and getting seriously short of breath could indicate a serious issue.
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    Can you run/walk? When I began running, I would literally run for 30 seconds, walk to recover, and then run again. There are structured programs out there that will gradually increase your running time. I never could have run more than a few minutes when I started. Now I can run for a couple of hours if I want to.

Yeah that's exactly what I do! Run for 30 seconds and walk until I catch my breath. Do you have any tips to try run for longer? Or will it naturally happen when I lose more weight? Thanks for the advice :)
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    At 195 I could run 3 min.

With no training I tried again at 165. I did 8 mins non stop.

I'm now doing c25k. Week 1 is 60 sec running 90 sec walking for 20 minutes.

I'm on week 2. 90 sec running, 2 min walking.

I would definitely try it if you are interested in running. It's a free Ap.
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    It could be a matter of endurance and just needing more training. You should also look online at proper breathing techniques for running. Sometimes if I don't pay attention, I start breathing shallowly and wear out much more quickly than if I am breathing correctly.

Will check out the breathing techniques thank you :)
  • takobutt
    takobutt Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My question is: why can't I run? Like I can run for about 30 seconds on the treadmill but anymore than that my chest feels like it's going to explode and my breathing gets extremely difficult. My legs feel fine when I'm running indicating that I could run for a lot longer which I really want to but I just can't catch a breath! I tried to run at slower speeds and higher speeds but I still feel the same. I can't run.

first week : start at a speed youre comfortable with but still makes you sweat. (if you really cant run or jog then start by walking , its perfectly fine)
    Then, every week following this, make your speed slightly faster until you can run.
    Also dont forget to strength train.
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Have you seen a doctor? If you're having chest pain you might need to have your cardiac function evaluated. It might not be safe for you to run right now. Having that bad of pain and getting seriously short of breath could indicate a serious issue.

Hey thanks for your response! It's not exactly chest pains but like my chest feels heavy because I'm breathing so hard (sorry it's really hard to explain lol)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Slow down! And then slow down evenmore! At what speed are you running?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I first started I could not even walk for 10 straight minutes without being out of breath. It has to do with your weight and cardiovascular fitness, which improves with time by losing weight and doing more cardio. You are also going too fast for your fitness level. Run as slow as possible at first (I started running slower than I could walk!) and follow a gradual running program.

Here is a reasonable program (don't be afraid of repeating weeks if a certain week feels too hard):

np2f8ida88lo.png
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    takobutt wrote: »

first week : start at a speed youre comfortable with but still makes you sweat. (if you really cant run or jog then start by walking , its perfectly fine)
    Then, every week following this, make your speed slightly faster until you can run.
    Also dont forget to strength train.

Okay thanks for the great tip :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So walk. Walk at a rate which gets your heart rate up a little bit in 30 minutes, but doesn't make your chest want to explode. Do that for a month then try speeding up by 0.5 mph. Your cardiovascular system is weak. Make it work, and it will respond by getting stronger. You'll be up to running in a few months.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    How fast do you walk? And for how long?
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    At 195 I could run 3 min.

With no training I tried again at 165. I did 8 mins non stop.

I'm now doing c25k. Week 1 is 60 sec running 90 sec walking for 20 minutes.

I'm on week 2. 90 sec running, 2 min walking.

I would definitely try it if you are interested in running. It's a free Ap.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation just downloaded it :)
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A trick I used during my military days was chewing gum while running. I focused on one foot in front of the other and chewing my gum, and that forced better breathing to become more second nature. I found my breathing to be off when I focused on it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Losing weight by calorie restriction does nothing to improve cardiovascular function.