"Healthiest" Alcoholic Drinks

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Advice on what adult drinks to buy that won't totally sabotage my MFP goals? (i.e. low in calories) Yes, I know, drinking alcohol isn't the best choice, but when out with friends or celebrating an occasion, I want a drink. What do you recommend?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "Healthiest" as in calories?

Red wine has about 120 calories for 5 ounces, white wine is even lower -- I think around 100 (double check that though, I don't drink it often). Straight shots are going to be pretty low calorie -- bourbon, vodka, tequila are around 60-70 calories an ounce. If you choose a zero calorie mixer (diet soda, sparkling water) or drink it neat, you can be pretty low calorie for a drink. Some people who like sweeter drinks will use Crystal Light or something like that (I don't like sweetness myself).

If you are interested in other health benefits, red wine does have antioxidants and some minerals (magnesium, I think).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Moderation and within your calorie and macro goals
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to have alcohol, I try to avoid extra sugar, so I try to avoid all of the sugary mixers. My go-tos are:
    * white wine
    * rum and diet soda OR
    * bourbon neat.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
  • mrvikingman
    mrvikingman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Gin and soda with lime is pretty good. One of my standard go-tos.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What's more important when you drink? The buzz or being able to sip and be social for the longest time possible? If it's the buzz, harder drinks like tequila, vodka, bourbon..etc are best. If you just want to sip something, look for something that tastes good mixed with carbonated water or diet soda.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just picked up Redd's strawberry ale today, one 12 ounce bottle bottle is 166 calories, which makes it pretty easy to fit into my calorie goal. It also has a nice flavor!
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This feedback is GREAT! Thank you, everyone!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I alternate alcoholic drinks with a glass of soda water (unflavoured, sparkling water) with ice and fresh lime.