Low fat & low carb possible for weight loss success?

Options
valbar61
valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
edited April 2016 in Getting Started
I've been trying the Atkins low-carb high-fat and it's just not working for me something about eating all this fat just does not seem right looking for suggestions on whether I can do low-carb and low-fat and if so what is the highest I should go in carbs. Also how much fat.

Replies

• easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im just curious do im starting the low carb diet. Is this diet a permanent thing for the rest of our lives or does the weight stay off after the time frame?
  • Parfumista
    Parfumista Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    easyabz wrote: »
    Im just curious do im starting the low carb diet. Is this diet a permanent thing for the rest of our lives or does the weight stay off after the time frame?

You won't gain fat as long as you don't eat a surplus of calories. Once you switch from low carb to high carb your body will gain some water weight while replenishing the glycogen storages.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    The best way to keep the weight off after your "timeframe," is to do it the way you took it off in the first place. That means that if you're going to change our eating habits back to what you were doing prior to low carb, low fat, or whatever, then no, you won't keep the weight off, unless you are doing your previous habits at a deficit or maintenance.

For me, there's no point in doing anything differently than I plan to do forever. Basically, I am eating all the same things, but less of them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

For me I will not cut anything out (to lose weight) that I do not intend to cut out for the rest of my life. I promise that maintaining your weight loss takes work.

Google your current maintenance calories.....then change 1 factor......change the first number to your goal weight.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

For me that difference was 183 calories. When I reach my goal, I will need to eat 183 FEWER calories forever. I won't be doing low carb forever, so I log all types of food. But snacks and treats are smaller portions.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do both low carb and low fat......all that's left is protein. An all protein diet isn't healthy, and it's not a lifestyle change.

Fats are calorie dense. Perhaps you need to tighten up your logging. If you are not losing, it's not the macro.....you are eating more than you think you are. Many people here will weigh portions on a food scale (not just measure them with cups and spoons).
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    a good place to start is 1 carb per pound of body weight.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Been doing 25% carbs and 30% fat. Pretty easily maintainable, although I have to try to actually reach the fat goal many times. Lost 8lbs in the past month, and one pants size down, so I'd say its working okay.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Spicy, how did you set that up? did you figure out the math then set your macros on mfp?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

It's like any other kind of weight loss. If you lose diligence, if you slack the weight will come back. It doesn't matter if you calorie count, exercise to a deficit, do low carb, do high carb... if you lose sight of the ball, the weight will come back.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    a good place to start is 1 carb per pound of body weight.

Citation? I've never heard this before.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    valbar61 wrote: »
    I've been trying the Atkins low-carb high-fat and it's just not working for me something about eating all this fat just does not seem right looking for suggestions on whether I can do low-carb and low-fat and if so what is the highest I should go in carbs. Also how much fat.

What is it about Atkins that isn't working for you? Eating a large proportion of fat seems counterintuitive to us who have grown up fearing (and loathing and desiring) fat, but it would work regardless of faith, if you do it right.

Essential to weight loss is a proper amount of calories - many enough to keep you energized and healthy, but also few enough to let you lose weight, but not so few that you lose lean (muscle) mass. So, set up MFP with your stats, choose a weight loss goal of not more than 1% of your body weight per week, and try to hit that calorie goal every day, weighing, double checking, and logging - accurately and consistently.

You don't have to choose any particular diet or a go with any school of thought. No splits are better than others. Macro settings are primarily meant to enhance adherence to calorie allotment and nudging you in the direction of a balanced diet. You can't go low carb and low fat at the same time, because that leaves protein to take up the bulk, and that's unbalanced, difficult, boring and expensive, luckily, long before it gets unhealthy.

Try the MFP default (50 carbs, 30 fat, 20 protein) with a proper calorie goal, for a month. If you experience difficulties (hunger, fatigue, cravings, hard to compose tasty meals etc), you can adjust macros, for instance to .6 grams of protein and fat per pound of body weight at healthy weight.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Spicy, how did you set that up? did you figure out the math then set your macros on mfp?

Used multiple low carb diet calculators to find out the most recommended percentages. Then changed my macros under Food > Settings > Goals
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Thnx
  • fourcheeze
    fourcheeze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    suggestions on whether I can do low-carb and low-fat and if so what is the highest I should go in carbs. Also how much fat.

I wouldn't suggest low carb and low fat, because that basically leaves you protein only.

I'm doing low carb and low calorie, the Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Moseley. It's relatively high fat but because it's very low (800) calorie I'm probably eating less fat than I was before.

High fat food is tasty, which makes it relatively easy to follow despite the small portions.

I've lost 20kg/44lbs in 12 weeks.

Good luck.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    so don't eat low carb if you don't want to eat high fat. Pick one or the other.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    when in doubt eat more proteins and cut on the carbs. with that being said proteins>fat>carbs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You pretty much have to pick one or the other...you can't really go low on two of only three macros...or I suppose you could just eat chicken and veggies and egg whites all of the time.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I don't think I could see stick with chicken, veg and egg whites for more than two days. :s
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just approach it as high protein. Then set your carbs and fat after that to how many carbs you want each day. However... you really need to choose low carb only if you do not want carbs. It is designed for your body to use fat for fuel instead of carbs. Can't do both IMHO without an unhealthy outcome. You can choose keto or moderate carb <70.

You can loose weight any way you want to dice up the macros, you just need to be in a calorie deficit.