Anyone Sugar-Free?

Options
Hi
I was just wandering if anyone has done/tried a sugar free diet/life style as I am reading a book and I am thinking of doing it.
Good & bad points?
Just general what you thought of doing it?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Okay - first off, I'm guessing you mean "no added sugar"......? Because fruits, dairy, etc. all have sugar. Your body can't tell the difference between sugar in candy and sugar in fruit. But fruit has fiber, and dairy has protein so these are a better use for my calories.

Second LIFESTYLE - (this means FOREVER). No added sugar forever would not work for me. I aim to eat added sugar foods in moderation. In fact, all foods in moderation. I'm fat because my portions are too big & I snack too much. Not because I eat foods that contain sugar.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tried no added sugars. Lasted about 6 hours.
    Impossible to do.
    I did read a book from the library once called "I quit sugar".
    It at least taught me how to be aware of it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Can't do it because Haagen Daz Rum Raisin ice cream. Life is too short not to have ice cream!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Can't do it because Haagen Daz Rum Raisin ice cream. Life is too short not to have ice cream!

*drool* I didn't know that was a thing!

OP, moderation is an amazing thing. You can have some sugary snacks without the guilt by keeping in your calorie goal. That being said. It has taken me two years to be able to have ice cream in the house without eating the whole thing in two days. I went through a lot of ice cream during that time. But I knew I didn't want to give it up forever, so I figured I better learn to control myself. I still have some things that I hesitate to bring home, because I have a hard time controlling myself (potato chips, chocolate bars), but I will keep working on it. Life is way too short to be giving up the flavorful foods that I love.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Following keto, I eat less than 10g of sugar a day. Last time I said that, peoples' heads almost fell off, but it's not impossible. My sugars come from dairy and some vegetables (like peppers, cucumbers, and onions).
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Good points - after a terrible few days of cold turkey, most people find they do not crave any of the high sugar stuff they did before.
    Fruit starts to taste amazing..
    Bad points - If you love doughnuts, and ice cream etc then there will always be a part of you that misses them.
    You can feel really awful to start with!