Help me estimate my bf% & a question!

Options
Hoping you can help me with 2 things today:
1. What do you think my body fat % is? I took a couple of photos to help, in a bunch of different lighting because I am paler than pale.

cvx7bc6x9y76.jpg
li835ws25eq9.jpg
g118jhcsek2k.jpg

2. My goals this year are to put on muscle, and to lift heavy things. But before I got to putting on muscle, I agreed with my trainer to cut some weight first (deficit, high protein, lifting heavy). Well, 2 months later and I've lost about 2kg (4.5lbs), I feel depressingly small and am anxious to get on with things. In your internet opinion, do you think it would be a mistake to start a bulk before dropping any more weight?

FYI I'm 5'8 and between 145lbs and 150lbs.

Please and thank you!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    15% or less
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks @queenliz99 :)
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    10-12%
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I reckon 12-13%. Good starting point for slow bulk.
  • Erik8484
    Options
    Thanks guys, really appreciate your input!
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
  • Erik8484
    Options

Sounds about right
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the others 12-15%
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yea i was thinking in the 12% ish range.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    12-13% looking great. Time to bulk Bulky Bulkerton.
  • pwillis20
    pwillis20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lean closer to the 10% range. I'd say finish your cut.
    Reasons::
    1 - You mentally grow stronger completing what you initially started out for.
    2 - Makes sure your diet is in check, your dedicated, and have a lean base to start with, which allows for a more flexible diet and bulk when adding the weight back.
    3 - Your body will be use to a deficit or catabolic state, when you reverse to a surplus, often times your body holds on to the surplus much better in an anabolic state (which promotes muscle gain) in fear of going back into starvation,, essentially.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You could eat at maintenance for a few weeks, if you're getting sick of the diet. My opinion is, you should reverse diet out into a lean bulk.

Taking 8 weeks to lose 4.5lb seems a little long, maybe on your next cut you might consider lowering your calories further. Perhaps other forum members can give their opinion on this?
  • Evelinejedwab
    Evelinejedwab Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a scale, you can get a good one that displays fat, bone and muscle percentage for about 25€.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a scale, you can get a good one that displays fat, bone and muscle percentage for about 25€.

I would avoid these, they're terribly inaccurate. Some bodyfat calipers will give you a better idea, but in reality it doesn't matter what any scale says, it's whether you are happy with your appearance that counts.
  • Erik8484
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    You could eat at maintenance for a few weeks, if you're getting sick of the diet. My opinion is, you should reverse diet out into a lean bulk.

Taking 8 weeks to lose 4.5lb seems a little long, maybe on your next cut you might consider lowering your calories further. Perhaps other forum members can give their opinion on this?

Thats a fair point, i think i could have gone a bit more aggressive with it. I ended up at a deficit of about 10%-15% to my tdee. That was broadly my target going in, but I've since read that more aggressive cuts aren't necessarily a bad thing, and that over the short term you wont necessarily lose any more lbm. Ill definitely look at cutting more aggressively.

Scales unfortunately arent a reliable method of measuring body fat (which is a huge pet peeve of mine).
    pwillis20 wrote: »
    I'm going to lean closer to the 10% range. I'd say finish your cut.
    Reasons::
    1 - You mentally grow stronger completing what you initially started out for.
    2 - Makes sure your diet is in check, your dedicated, and have a lean base to start with, which allows for a more flexible diet and bulk when adding the weight back.
    3 - Your body will be use to a deficit or catabolic state, when you reverse to a surplus, often times your body holds on to the surplus much better in an anabolic state (which promotes muscle gain) in fear of going back into starvation,, essentially.

I do want to go a little bit leaner, i feel like absolutely garbage right now though (more likely from being sick than from my deficit i suspect). Im going to sit in maintenance for up to 2 weeks and reassess when i don't feel like im going to die anymore (exaggeration, its man flu).

Thanks again to everyone for your input.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I mean if you are comfortable, you could recomp for a bit until you can get back in mentally or even set a very small deficit.
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    1. What do you think my body fat % is? I took a couple of photos to help, in a bunch of different lighting because I am paler than pale.

cvx7bc6x9y76.jpg
    li835ws25eq9.jpg
    g118jhcsek2k.jpg

2. My goals this year are to put on muscle, and to lift heavy things. But before I got to putting on muscle, I agreed with my trainer to cut some weight first (deficit, high protein, lifting heavy). Well, 2 months later and I've lost about 2kg (4.5lbs), I feel depressingly small and am anxious to get on with things. In your internet opinion, do you think it would be a mistake to start a bulk before dropping any more weight?

Please and thank you!

Why not simply go to the US NAVY BODYFAT CCOMPOSITION Calculator? ThisIis very accurate, based on a few simple measurements! Simply Google it and take your numbers and apply them to the online calculator!
    You can repeat the process as often as you like and boom!
    Good hunting!
  • Erik8484
    Options
    diverroboz wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »

cvx7bc6x9y76.jpg
    li835ws25eq9.jpg
    g118jhcsek2k.jpg

Please and thank you!

Why not simply go to the US NAVY BODYFAT CCOMPOSITION Calculator? ThisIis very accurate, based on a few simple measurements! Simply Google it and take your numbers and apply them to the online calculator!
    You can repeat the process as often as you like and boom!
    Good hunting!

I don't think it's as accurate as you think it is, being based on your weight, height waist measurements and neck measurement only.

All body fat measurement techniques are subject to error. In my opinion the best thing to do is to estimate bf% using a number of different methods, to build a better picture of what your bf% is likely to be. Posting photos online for internet opinions is just one of those different methods.
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fair point, but the sample size is MASSIVE, quite accurate enough compared to other sketchy methods, and I'm guessing it would be interesting to give it a try!
    Anyway, congrats on the results so far, keep it going!
    I reckon from the photos you'd be a classic Australia Navy Clearance Diver physique!
    Those guys can be thought of close to par with SEALS in physical fitness and toughness.
    Please let us know what figure the US NAVY method gives you, assuming you try it, of course!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd say around 12% ish. It's very difficult to get an accurate measurment. Looking good.

If you want to bulk, bulk. Personally I'd go a touch leaner, but it's just personal preference, so if you are eager to get on with packing on some muscle I'd say you're in a good place to start.

Don't go too crazy with your surplus btw, or you'll make your next cut very difficult. I'd use a very small surplus (200-300) and stop when you reach ~15-18% ish, then cut back down and repeat.

That said, there's no right or wrong way; just do whatever makes you happy. Good luck.