Success in maintenance

lynsielou22
lynsielou22 Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
For those of you who are succeeding in weight maintenance, about how many calories do you eat per meal? And what distribution of macros do you typically aim for? I'm trying to figure out the best way for me, and obviously my calorie needs are going to be different than everyone else's. But I was curious the range of calories you do for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as snacks. Also, what's your method of keeping off excess body fat? How often do you workout, what types of workouts, etc.

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    For me it is very different I eat about 2100 a day
    but main part of those i eat/snack around 9PM and bedtime

Ideal or normal for me is
    250 in the morning
    250 lunch
    150 snack afternoon
    250-400 dinner
    Remaining part between 9 and 12 in the evening

But i can change that quickly when i want pizza or a mac for my dinner lol

i try to keep a weekly range of 14500 calories intake and 2000 exercise calories

I dont look to much at my macros but i try to keep my protein high ( because i eat a lot of popcorn in the night my carbs are high)
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    I eat about 1600 a day. I'm short and old. :P

I maintain on a calorie range of +/- 100 rather than a hard ceiling. I also tend to track calories on a weekly rather than daily basis. My meals break down roughly:

Breakfast - 20% of daily calories.
    Lunch - 30%
    Dinner - 30%
    Snack/Dessert - 20%

Then if I know if one meal or another is going to exceed the usual amount I can just juggle the others to accommodate. For instance a dinner out may take 50% so I have a smaller lunch and skip the snack. If I eat 120% of calories one day, I balance out with 80% the next.

For activity I walk a lot and do some light lifting. Maintaining weight--like losing it--is still 80% diet. I mostly ignore macros. I balance my food, avoid empty calories (like snack foods) and use vitamin and fibre supplements.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm 5'3", 45, female, sedentary, and I eat around 1775 calories per day. I don't track calories/macros anymore, but when I did, eating approx like I do now, I was at around 18% protein, 42% carbs, 40% fat. I eat four meals a day, half of my calories for dinner, and the rest split equally. My meal plan gives me a slight deficit, so I "treat" myself with "extras" from time to time. My "exercise" is mostly walking, and some basic strength training at home. I also weigh myself daily. I've maintained a weight range of 55-58 kilos for 18 months.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    300 breakfast
    150 mid morning snack
    400-600 lunch
    600-800 dinner
    150 evening snack

approx 2000-2200 cals is my maintenance.

5ft 2" /46yrs/weight goal range 128-133lbs/active.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I'm almost 40, have a sedentary job and I average around 2400 calories a day. I'm tall and very active. I like to bank some calories for weekend treats so usually I eat a little less during the weekdays and a little more over the weekend.

Most days I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. No snacks. However, I don't have a set amount of calories I aim for per meal. I listen to my hunger cues. Some days I'm not as hungry for breakfast so I eat lighter and have a bigger lunch or dinner or vice versa.

My meals are pretty much balanced and I have equal amounts of protein, carbs and fats for the most part.

For my workouts I train first thing in the morning and usually in the evening as well. I enjoy power walking intervals for miles, weight training, barre/Pilates, calisthenics and doing workout dvd's.

This plan took a while to come together, but it has made maintaining and keeping off 80 pounds pretty smooth for the past 3 years.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    For those of you who are succeeding in weight maintenance, about how many calories do you eat per meal? And what distribution of macros do you typically aim for? I'm trying to figure out the best way for me, and obviously my calorie needs are going to be different than everyone else's. But I was curious the range of calories you do for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as snacks. Also, what's your method of keeping off excess body fat? How often do you workout, what types of workouts, etc.

Been in maintenance for 3 years now. I don't aim for specific calories for each meal. I pre-log the day and put all the pieces together so at the end of the day when I brush my teeth, I've hit my calorie goal :)

I've also never tracked macros, so that's a non-issue for me.

For exercise-I'm a seasonal walker and that's it. April-August I walk 3-5 times a week for 1-2 miles a time. September-March I don't do anything.

I maintain my loss by sticking within my calorie allotment (maintenance calories, without the walking, is right around 1,600 a day. I add 50 calories to the days that I walk).
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator
    I don't pay attention to macros much, though I do try to at least look at my protein intake now and then.

I'm a 5'4" female, weighing 130(ish) pounds who maintains on about 2100 calories a day average... and by average, I mean that some weeks I'm up near 3K calories and others I'm around 1500. My intake typically looks like:
    Breakfast: 150 calories
    Lunch: 400 calories
    Dinner and later: all the rest of my calories.

I find that if I save my calories for later in the day, I'm more likely to stick with an appropriate amount of them. :) I'm an evening snacker. For exercise, I run (3x weekly) and bike (2x weekly) . :)