Cheap, Healthy Dinner Recipes/Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Eggs and sweet potato hash. It's a super cheap base that has vitamins and protein, and you can add a ton of different veggies/meats/spices.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bumpity
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump for later...
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i have vergetaian tendencies, and i find it helps me afford the better meat if i eat less of it...

my standby meals are:

Chickpeas in butter chicken sauce (a jar or homemade - get the "healthier" stuff with brown rice and loads of cooked spinach. (i could eat this every day)

rice and beans of any kind... i grab cajun seasoning, whatever veggies i want, rice, black beans, sausages or smiked sausages if i feel like it... i like this with a tomato base, so you could open a can, or cut up a tomato. call it jamabolaya, dirty rice, whatever, it's nom. add cooked chicken for extra meaty goodness

Peanut sauce on anything, the other day i made it super simple. saute some kale add a blob of smoothe peanut butter, sweet thai sauce, garlic (powder, fresh whatever) and soy sauce... i could have served this on rice or noodles, but i jsut ate it like that.

fried rice; frozen mixed veggies, last night's rice, and egg and soy sauce, add whatever asian sauce you wnt (hoison, black bean, oyster, thai, etc) in a frying pan heat rice and veggies, then pour over the sauces mixed with raw egg, stir until egg cooks on rice. (you can add other protein to this meal - cooked chicken is a backup for me)

i cook a chicken once a week and we use it through the week for cheap meals... so any of my veggie based dinners because meat based with lefotver chicken.

good luck!
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Steph_in_Mississippi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Flatbread pizza.... Toast flatbread lightly in oven (I prefer wheat). Top with favorite veggies (I like tomatoes thin sliced, garlic, basil, mushrooms and cheese). Add some grilled chicken for protein if you would like.

Vegetarian chili (beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, chili seasoning and small block of dark chocolate)... Full of protein and fiber.

Any roasted veggies. Toss veggies with little olive oil (good fat), season with salt and pepper. Roast on cookie sheet at 400 degrees til lightly golden. Great trick is to line sheet with parchment paper. The veggies won't stick.

Pasta salads. I use smart taste white pastas because they have fiber and protein. Add fresh vegetables or marinara, lean meat like ground round or sirloin... Add sprinkle of cheese.

Egg white omelet topped with salsa...

I found a great trick is to grill several lean meats like chicken, sirloin steak, tenderloin, etc, let cool and pre-portion them into zip loc bags. Toss in freezer. Then you have lean proteins for sandwiches, salads, wrap, or pizza. Less preservatives, controlled sodium and convenient.

If I think of anymore, I will add some later.

Hope you find some great things to try... ;)
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah.. my cheap healthy dish of all time is bean based.

Soak 1lb of beans of any kind in 7 cups of water for 5-24 hours (The longer they soak the faster they cook, and the less vitamins get burned out)
    Put beans in a crockpot, and add 1 whole chopped onion of any kind, 1-2 bell peppers, and as much celery as you want.
    Mix all the ingrediants together. Afterwards, add 1 package of ham hocks/turkey necks (I personally only put half the package in.), leave on top of beans.
    Cook on high for 5-7 hours
    After cooking is complete, fork out the hocks/necks, let them cool off, then debone them. Add meat back into pot and mix.

Enjoy this fiber packed meal! :flowerforyou: