Frustration

I have been doing this calorie counter almost a year now. During the summer I did get down to my goal of 136 lbs, but climbed up to where I started (144 lbs). I am eating under my goal and exercising. Is it my age and hormones that is causing me to blimp up again? I just turned 52. I am frustrated and need some ideas.

Thanks! Kris

Replies

• Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2016
    Your TDEE gets higher in the summer, lower in the other seasons. I think that is the problem. If you're doing more than means you burn more energy, calorie wise.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Do you weigh ALL your food? Open your diary so people can help you out :)
  • KristinGriffiths
    KristinGriffiths Posts: 2 Member
    Yes, I weigh all my food or measure it. I have been doing this for a year, so it's not like I am new to this. Just confused.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    but measuring can throw things of big time that's why i asked

When you are gaining slowly over time than you get to much calories. Since our not new to this you know this so cut a bit back.

And there can be several reasons for it. Like slightly less active so lower daily burn. Your measuring is a bit too much.
    I have a wonky hormone household lol I am about your age. Have some other medical issues and still the outcome is the same.....less active means eating less.

I understand your frustration, it is a lifetime commitment. And i know after losing 10 lbs and sliding into maintaining that sometimes we get "too easy" on our intake and slowly the weight goes up.

But i wish you good luck OP, keep weighing dont let it get you down :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2016
    We generally find in winter we gain a few pounds, (we reach for more comfort foods in general) as long as you take them off in summer then as such you are still maintaining nicely - most will allow +/- 5lbs range, perhaps yours is just more.

Are you less active in winter? that will also contribute.

I had 2 winters at maintenance where I gained around 4/5 pounds. This winter I took a different approach as I didn't want to gain - I cut out my night time snacking and that sorted my gain. I'm 1lb lighter than I was on maintenance this time last year...perfick :smiley:
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    It could be different things but at your age hormones could be the reason. I agree that in the winter months we slow down more. I know I do. Maybe try to change things up a bit each day and see how that works. It may be that your body is used to what you are doing and got yourself in maintenance mode at the higher weight. Good luck to you!