VEGANS!

Options
hi, I'm looking for more vegan friends who are gaining weight. I would love it if your diary was open so I could get ideas on how to add more to my diet. if you're vegan and either gaining or maintaining either comment or add me! I'm just looking for more people who share my same goals and values

Replies

• victoriarosec11
    victoriarosec11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian (I don't have dairy products but eat eggs), and wanting to gain weight so I'm in a similar boat! :)
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Hi, yogaveg. (great name btw... I think yoga and vegan go together like chocolate and vanilla)

I eat sardines but the rest of my diet is plants. (Sardines barely have any calories anyway though.)
    I eat LOTS of sweet potato, quinoa, beans, and avocados. I can't really handle too much fat though otherwise nut butters would make gaining weight that much easier. I don't log food as I can make a conservative estimate on how many calories I'm consuming with each meal and going over my target is like extra credit anyway.

Just to recap: potatos, rice, quinoa, beans, avocado, nut butters will get you to where you want to be.

Another good calorie filler that doubles as a dessert is cornbread. You can buy the cornbread mix (make sure it's vegan) and eat it with maple syrup. Use flax seeds and coconut oil to make it moist, and they're also high in calories as well. Good luck. Namaste.

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over a decade and am currently on a clean/slow bulk, which I'm only moderately succeeding at, but that's a different story.

What are your goals other than gaining weight? Do you have a workout program/routine to help with your goals?

What does your normal diet look like, calorie goals, etc? Are you finding it tough to get enough calories with your current food choices?

Are there specific difficulties that you are facing?

Sorry to ask a million questions.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over a decade and am currently on a clean/slow bulk, which I'm only moderately succeeding at, but that's a different story.

What are your goals other than gaining weight? Do you have a workout program/routine to help with your goals?

What does your normal diet look like, calorie goals, etc? Are you finding it tough to get enough calories with your current food choices?

Are there specific difficulties that you are facing?

Sorry to ask a million questions.

goals are to gain weight and get stronger, I do yoga 5-7x a week, climb 2-3x a week and go hiking once a week if I'm lucky. I also do some body weight training 2-3x a week.

before I started counting again I was eating around 1500-1800 and losing/ maintaining but I'm really trying to eat more than 2000 a day. I eat things like bagels, rice, pasta, fruit and veg, avocados, oils, nuts and nut butters, dark chocolate, tofu, tempeh, beans, lentils, Lara bars, protein smoothies, juices. I try to keep processed foods to a minimum because my body feels better when it's running of off food and not junk. but I'll still have vegan cookies or pizza every once in a while.

my biggest struggle is just eating so much food. I feel like there's not enough time in the day and not enough room in my stomach! thanks for your help!
  • DaddieCat
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What works for me as I often consume 3000+ kcal in a day is to break it up into smaller, more calorically dense meals.

There's no magic behind meal timing or anything like that, but I find if I eat smaller meals more frequently I can easily get in more food.

In my case it's 4 to 8 meals that I try to keep a over 500 kcal. It allows me to pass time between meals and have room for more later.

If I were you I wouldn't try to jump into this all at once though. Reverse diet your way there. Pick a number that you can manage daily.... eat that for a week or two... then add 150 to 250 kcal to the total and eat that for a week or two, then add more, etc until you get to the level of consumption that you need.

Give your body time to adapt to the new intake patterns.

It won't take too long before even that amount will leave you hungry if you activity level is high enough I ate 3500 kcal yesterday and I'm starving right now.... need to cram some breakfast in my face-hole.
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hey how long have you been vegan for? I'm a vegetarian right now trying to slowly transition into vegan. I'll add you. I'm always looking for foods to keep my macros in balance. I'm also on a lifting program right now and I log all my foods :D
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Which one of us were you talking to?

If you put the @ before someone's name, it's a good way to let them know.... like this:

@goldenbeaut
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    lol I was originally asking @yogaveg

@BecomingBane you said you've been vegan for a while, do you have any tips for someone trying to transition while keeping calories up? I was eating above maintenence before but I was eating lots of eggs and chicken and I've cut that out completly.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Calorie dense food is really all there is to it.

Nuts, nut butters, avocado, seeds,oils etc.

I've never had a difficult time reaching calories unless I'm eating above 3000kcal in a day.

For me, the trick to getting enough calories with such a high goal is to make sure that my macros fall in line.

.8-1.2 grams of protein per lb of lean mass
    .4-.6 grams of fat per pound of lean mass
    enough carbs to fill the rest of the goal.

Simple ways to add calories would be to add oil to things, eat foods mentioned above, add a high calorie dressing to salad, etc.

It's easy to get caught up in the must eat all vegetables all of the time, but veggies, while great for you, can be extremely filling for minimal calories, so it's helpful to me to dial back the veggies to realistic and logical serving sizes (unless I'm eating purely for volume) and to make sure my protein and fats are high enough.

I'm also not one to shy away from processed foods... there's nothing wrong with them as part of a balanced diet that contains adequate amounts of fruit and veg.
  • SoMuchKale
    SoMuchKale Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this website but I have the same goals of gaining weight on a vegan diet. I thrived as a vegan while running 90 miles per week and I am just getting into weight lifting so I am excited to see how well I can build muscle while eating this way.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hey how long have you been vegan for? I'm a vegetarian right now trying to slowly transition into vegan. I'll add you. I'm always looking for foods to keep my macros in balance. I'm also on a lifting program right now and I log all my foods :D

I've been vegan for two years now I think and vegetarian for 4-5 years prior to that!