Finding the balance - plantar fascia issues

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
In the beginning I always tend to over do. Trying not to do that this time but since I have so much time on my hands (in between jobs at the moment - my days are spent searching for a job, cleaning house, gardening and exercising). I am on day #12 and my left heel is starting to hurt. Little twinges. Don't want to over do.

How do you find the balance between pushing yourself hard enough to get results and pulling back enough so that you don't get hurt again.

My routine the past 12 days has been walking 3 miles at approx. 3 mph and then later in the evening when we're watching t.v. 20 minutes on the stationary bike. I also have dumb bells that I am just getting familiar with again.

About a year ago I was going to Spin class, Zumba class and doing 5ks. Gym membership ran out in September but no funds to renew so I fell on and off the wagon trying to do it myself. Now I'm back but don't want to mess up my foot.

Doing it all from home this time - I also have dvds - old school - Richard Simmons Dance your pants off, Yoga Booty Ballet, Yoga for weight loss, Weight Watcher's Get Healthy - toning, balance and strength, Jillian's (2) ab dvds, and REALLY old school - Abs of Steel. And the one I really want to do P90X. Haven't incorporated any of them yet.

Any suggestions on how hard to push without getting hurt?

Age 54 with about 70 pounds to loose

Replies

• ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's lots on YouTube. Fitness blender, Melissa bender (benderfitness.com I believe), Melissa ioja. All free and varying hiit type workouts. Good luck!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    For me I think it helps to do a little of this and a little of that...not a lot of one thing.

Also stretches for the foot and warming up...usually around a half mile into a walk my feet feel warmed up and more flexible so I start slow.

And if you can walk on a trail instead of on concrete or a treadmill that helps too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    insoles and right fitting shoes can help.

maybe build up to things. see where the discomfort starts?

there are woodway treadmills, they are meant for long distance runners so those might help even more.

don't forget to stretch when you are done. you can also ice roll your feet when you are done. freeze a water bottle.

and don't underestimate the value of rest days
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Those slat treadmills are really nice. Only found them in one gym ever so far and they only had one row of them, the rest were traditional belts.

One of those, a C2, and a good spinning bike and I wouldn't need a gym membership. But it would take a lot of gym payments to add up to the cost of all that. :D