IM SHOCKED!!

Options
I have tried this app a few times over the last couple years for a few weeks at a time with no success. Well in December I weighed myself at 272 pounds the biggest I ever been in my life, I was determined to do something that day. I am a real picky eater so I told myself this app would be best for me but I have to stick with it.. So here I am four months later and I'm down to 245. In all honestly I am shocked at my success. I eat what I want in moderation and just count my calories. I am proud of myself but I feel this is only the beginning for me. Need friends for advice and support, my job is sedentary and I have a long commute to work. I am not very active but I'm not lazy either. Thinking about hitting the gym next. Looking for advice as to where to go from here.

Replies

• mfurgiuele90
    mfurgiuele90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You should be beyond proud of your progress so far. I myself just joined the gym 4 weeks ago and I cant believe I am about to say this but I love it!! I am the least athletic person in the world but it has made a huge difference in toning my body after this weight loss. I think joining the gym would be an excellent idea especially since your sitting at your desk all day long (just like me!)
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great progress! I think the gym is a great idea. Look for something with small group fitness classes, it's a great social activity that will help keep you accountable. Feel free to add me as a friend. I love meeting new people.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a great loss for such a short amount of time.

Be sure to weigh and measure your foods. Drink plenty of water. I don't work out a lot either but I'm certainly not lazy so I understand that completely. I've lost weight and gotten to goal in years past without ever working out and only cutting back my food so it can be done. I have a treadmill at home now that I try to get on a couple times per week but I don't do gyms. I only get a membership and end up not going. I like working out alone. And if I have to drive there then I never go because I always get busy.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Now that you're feeling successful and confident, I'd start hitting the gym (albeit slowly at first). Move on to free weights (no need for machines; they are a waste of time, especially when you're starting fresh like you are) and get as much variety as possible. Find out what you like. Always do things that challenge you, as long as you aren't hurting yourself. Personally, I would focus on strength training because it helps the fat come off and, when the fat comes off, your body will be looking strong and awesome. Keep asking people for advice. There are tons of stories on here of people going from humongous and weak, to bodybuilders and badasses in the course of even just a year or two. KEEP IT UP!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Well done. Definitely hit the gym or find some other form of exercise that you enjoy, but ease into it at a level you can manage to maintain.

Strength training would be ideal. See if thre are any classes or free introductory sessions with a personal trainer.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    RWillis78 wrote: »
    I have tried this app a few times over the last couple years for a few weeks at a time with no success. Well in December I weighed myself at 272 pounds the biggest I ever been in my life, I was determined to do something that day. I am a real picky eater so I told myself this app would be best for me but I have to stick with it.. So here I am four months later and I'm down to 245. In all honestly I am shocked at my success. I eat what I want in moderation and just count my calories. I am proud of myself but I feel this is only the beginning for me. Need friends for advice and support, my job is sedentary and I have a long commute to work. I am not very active but I'm not lazy either. Thinking about hitting the gym next. Looking for advice as to where to go from here.

Hi
    Here is a couple of things You could do for free, No Gym needed :)

When You drive to work park as far away as feasible to get some walking in.
    During Your lunch period walk around at work. Use a inexpensive Pedometer to see how You are doing and work on slowly extending it.

Good Luck
    Roger

P.S. FWIW I had a sedentary job for the last 16 years I worked and I wish someone had told me these things that can help.