Jawbone Up giving low cal burn?

Options
Anyone else have this problem? The app gives me a daily burn consistently much lower than I would expect. I know roughly what my maintenance calories are, and even on a day when I spent the whole day walking, it still gave me a number well below maintenance.
I remember reading a review that compared a few devices and it did note that the Up generally gave a lower estimated burn, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I've stopped wearing it as the numbers it was giving me were essentially useless unless I want to starve myself.

Frustrated and wish I had of bought the new Fitbit instead. Am I alone?

Replies

• Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I don't have the Up however I just read this from an article:

"But even Jawbone said that non-step activities simply might not get tracked well by the Up because the band is oriented around step motions." .....

"As for now, the simple solution is to manually enter an activity and adjust your calorie burn. This is impossible with the Nike FuelBand, a major flaw. With the Fitbit, you can do it, but it's not linked the Fitbit's timer. With the Up, using the timer makes this a snap."

"The screenshots above show how I timed an activity for 56 minutes (it was paddleboarding), which the Up assumed was a total calorie burn of 94. When I changed that activity to "cardio" and selected the "Moderate" intensity, the calorie burn increased to 397. That also added to my overall calorie burn for the day. "

Here's the article for more info:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57582655-278/my-life-with-the-jawbone-up-activity-tracker/
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I tried the jawbone up for two weeks along side my nike fuel band. Your mileage may vary, but consistently the fuel band was more accurate in the number of steps . I dont use either for much more than steps and activity during the day.. My husband loves his fit bit. I would say return the up and try the fitbit.

I desperately wanted to like the jawbone up, but i never forgot i was wearing it like the nike fuel band. To each their own,.