Can anyone give feedback on my exercise routine?

Options
I've recently joined MFP as realised that I've barely changed body shape despite regularly exercising all winter, I've upped my protein intake as I realised it was very low so hopefully that should help,

I'm 36, currently 53kg (slowly managing to increase this, aiming to get to 56kg or so healthily!) I'm 5'5 (and a half!) tall.

My current exercise plan is:
Mon: circuit training (3 rounds of 16 exercises at 45s 60s 45s each)
Tues: swimming (approx 70 lengths in a 45-60min session)
Weds: run (around 5-7k)
Thurs: circuit training every other week (due to my kids activities)
Fri: swimming (approx 70 lengths in a 45-60min session)
Sat/Sun: run one of the days other day rest
Some of these days might end up being surf instead if the waves are good :smiley: All running is offroad trails.

I've been swimming and circuit training all winter, only recently started up running again. I was wondering if I should add some more home weight training in there somewhere? I don't have any weights though so if so what is best to get!

My aim is to make myself stronger, put on a bit of healthy weight & muscle and generally tone up.

Got a 12k tuff enuff race in a couple of months that we're training for which was the original reason for starting circuit training.

Can anyone feedback on whether this is a good combination of exercises to achieve my goals?

Thanks in advance!
:) cally

Replies

• nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'd switch the running day to hiking (punch up the incline on the treadmill to +7 degrees and walk at 3mph for an hour) just because it's good cardio while also building crazy thigh/butt muscle.

Other than that, looking good! Really nail your protien, though.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'd work in progressive overloading (adding more weight every time) if there isn't in your circuit training. It's basically the fundamental principal to getting stronger/ building muscle.

or just replace your circuit training with bodyweight exercise or an Upper/ lower 2x per week split. I'm no expert on circuit training and am partial to other forms of exercise so take this advice with a grain of salt.
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    I'd switch the running day to hiking (punch up the incline on the treadmill to +7 degrees and walk at 3mph for an hour) just because it's good cardio while also building crazy thigh/butt muscle.

Thanks for the advice :) Unfortunately I don't have a treadmill- all my runs are outside, I do run trails though and running along the coastal path to Lands End there are some killer hills / steps!

I could run up and down the stairs but I think this would rather rapidly get boring lol! Maybe add in some squats after a run?

I'm working on upping my protein to stick to the MFP recommended daily amount - its HARD though even with an added hemp protein smoothie! I've got it set to 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein as thats what it seemed to recommend. That works out at 76g of protein a day when not exercising which seems to be just about achievable for me at the moment! I then up it when exercising!
  • call3na
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    I'd work in progressive overloading (adding more weight every time) if there isn't in your circuit training. It's basically the fundamental principal to getting stronger/ building muscle.

or just replace your circuit training with bodyweight exercise or an Upper/ lower 2x per week split. I'm no expert on circuit training and am partial to other forms of exercise so take this advice with a grain of salt.

The circuit training I go to is a variety of bodyweight exercises, cardio and weight / resistance band exercises. The exercises vary every session, Mondays session had no weights at all, we did (hope I get the names right!):
    8 mat exercises: hi low plank, burpees, seated crunch, leopard crawl, mountain climber, press ups, heel touch, superhero plank
    4 step exercises: 'over the top' step, straddle step, step jacks, step vault
    others: hi jacks, grid sprint, laps, spotty dog

The weighted / resistant exercises that get mixed in include things like: bicep curl, tricep dip, vertical row, shoulder press; and then other stuff like squats, skipping, dorsal raise, toe taps etc - a real mix.

So not really a lot that's weighted in there, could it be worth adding a weights session in before my run? An on alternate Thursdays when I can't go circuit training anyway? Is there a limit to how many sessions are optimal?

I'm a real newbie when it comes to regulating my exercise - I usually just do whatever I fancy (when not winter that basically means surfing as much as possible lol)

Cheers :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Add in weights 2-3 times a week. Start with body weight if you have to.

Consider fiddling with the macro ratios- I personally aim for 30-35% protein.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    call3na wrote: »

The circuit training I go to is a variety of bodyweight exercises, cardio and weight / resistance band exercises. The exercises vary every session, Mondays session had no weights at all, we did (hope I get the names right!):
    8 mat exercises: hi low plank, burpees, seated crunch, leopard crawl, mountain climber, press ups, heel touch, superhero plank

The weighted / resistant exercises that get mixed in include things like: bicep curl, tricep dip, vertical row, shoulder press; and then other stuff like squats, skipping, dorsal raise, toe taps etc - a real mix.

So not really a lot that's weighted in there, could it be worth adding a weights session in before my run? An on alternate Thursdays when I can't go circuit training anyway? Is there a limit to how many sessions are optimal?

I'm a real newbie when it comes to regulating my exercise - I usually just do whatever I fancy (when not winter that basically means surfing as much as possible lol)

surfing is great exercise! but you probably already know that ;)

It's okay to go to the gym and do whatever you want- it's definitely better than nothing. The optimal way to train, though, comes with having a plan. If you keep programming consistent (usually a 7 day week, then repeat format is most convenient for people) and increase the difficulty slowly and consistently by adding reps or weight then you'll get stronger and more tone.

A weighted day would be a good idea. At the very least it will allow you to measure progress. For example, if you could only do 5 pushups last month and now you can do 10, that's tangible progress.
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm similar in size to you, but a little taller and heavier (and a little older!) I started with circuits and running about six months ago and have slowly added two lifting days per week (full body) I'm definitely seeing quicker progress in body composition with lifting. I'd be tempted to swap out one run and one swim for weights each week if you want to build up more muscle.

I'm not an expert but I think there are some good kettlebell routines out there - hopefully someone can recommend one. I do squats, lunges and single leg deadlifts with Kettlebells, but there are loads more you can do. If you can get a variety of sizes you'll be able to progress. If you can get to a gym you'll have more options available though!

I aim for 100g protein each day.
  • call3na
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Add in weights 2-3 times a week. Start with body weight if you have to.

Consider fiddling with the macro ratios- I personally aim for 30-35% protein.

Thanks, I've only got 2kg dumbbells so will have to be mostly bodyweight stuff I guess for now. Most things I can see online are for barbell workouts!

Any recommendation on exercises to do?

I'm only just hitting my protein target at the moment despite trying my best! Constantly feel full from eating so much more than I'm used to! Lol

:)
  • call3na
    Options

surfing is great exercise! but you probably already know that ;)

It's okay to go to the gym and do whatever you want- it's definitely better than nothing. The optimal way to train, though, comes with having a plan. If you keep programming consistent (usually a 7 day week, then repeat format is most convenient for people) and increase the difficulty slowly and consistently by adding reps or weight then you'll get stronger and more tone.

A weighted day would be a good idea. At the very least it will allow you to measure progress. For example, if you could only do 5 pushups last month and now you can do 10, that's tangible progress.

Surfing is great exercise and it's so much fun! Flat this week so will be swimming and running mostly. The swimming is great for keeping up paddle fitness for surfing.

I don't really go to the gym as I don't really get time around family, we're out in the sticks here so nearest gym is 25 min drive. I could swap my swimming for gym but I swim with a friend and to keep up the surf fitness, am going to start doing some weights on my swimming days though. Any recommendations on exercises that are worth doing, either bodyweight only or with 2kg dumbbells as that's all I've got! I'm better with a routine really, or a few options depending on how I'm feeling lol free choice usually means do nothing ;)

My push ups seem to vary vastly, at one point I was doing really well but then I seemed to go backwards, it was one of the things that made me look at my diet as it my progress stopped then went backwards with push ups!

Thanks again for your help :smile:
  • call3na
    Options
    Dula73 wrote: »
    I'm similar in size to you, but a little taller and heavier (and a little older!) I started with circuits and running about six months ago and have slowly added two lifting days per week (full body) I'm definitely seeing quicker progress in body composition with lifting. I'd be tempted to swap out one run and one swim for weights each week if you want to build up more muscle.

I'm not an expert but I think there are some good kettlebell routines out there - hopefully someone can recommend one. I do squats, lunges and single leg deadlifts with Kettlebells, but there are loads more you can do. If you can get a variety of sizes you'll be able to progress. If you can get to a gym you'll have more options available though!

I aim for 100g protein each day.

Thanks for this, really great to hear someone who's been there and done this:)

I was thinking of adding a couple of weights days into my routine but in addition to the other stuff, on one of my easy cardio days (swim or run).

I've never used kettlebells! I've got some 2kg dumbbells but they don't feel that heavy so is that really useful? I'll look at kettlebells but not sure I can justify too much expense at the moment as we've spent out a lot this year on work on our house!

Protein intake I've not really capped just getting as much as can, varying from 70-90g a day, but constantly feel stuffed as eating so much!!! Lol any veggie suggestions for this?
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    Maybe add in some squats after a run?

While those are great for your legs, they mainly target quads (front of the leg). I also do noooot suggest doing weighted squats after a run, form is very easy to screw up when you are fatigued and messing up your squat form can seriously injure you.

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice :)Unfortunately I don't have a treadmill- all my runs are outside, I do run trails though and running along the coastal path to Lands End there are some killer hills / steps!

I could run up and down the stairs but I think this would rather rapidly get boring lol! Maybe add in some squats after a run?

I'm working on upping my protein to stick to the MFP recommended daily amount - its HARD though even with an added hemp protein smoothie! I've got it set to 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein as thats what it seemed to recommend. That works out at 76g of protein a day when not exercising which seems to be just about achievable for me at the moment! I then up it when exercising!

There's nothing unfortunate about it, why would you want to walk on a incline treadmill when you can run outside and just hit a couple hills?

Looks like a pretty good plan you have there. Like others have said I'd add a leg (weight trained) day, and again a several have commented not to do this after a run. You could somehow incorporate it into your circuit days or before your shortest run of the week, nothing will build stronger legs than squatting before a 5km run.
  • call3na
    Options
    While those are great for your legs, they mainly target quads (front of the leg). I also do noooot suggest doing weighted squats after a run, form is very easy to screw up when you are fatigued and messing up your squat form can seriously injure you.

Thanks for the advice :) I'd probably do squats some time after a run, would that be OK? So run in morning, squat in evening?

Having said that, I've only got 2*2kg dumbbells so it's not exactly going be to very weighted at the moment :) trying to find some heavier ones at a reasonable price!

I've got to be careful with my knee after an old figure skating injury so am always careful of form when doing exercises like squats because of that.
  • call3na
    Options
    There's nothing unfortunate about it, why would you want to walk on a incline treadmill when you can run outside and just hit a couple hills?

Looks like a pretty good plan you have there. Like others have said I'd add a leg (weight trained) day, and again a several have commented not to do this after a run. You could somehow incorporate it into your circuit days or before your shortest run of the week, nothing will build stronger legs than squatting before a 5km run.
    That's very true:) I much prefer being out rather than inside on a treadmill, although it's been so stormy down here this winter that I've not had much chance to hit the trails! Didn't fancy being blown into the sea with the gale force winds lol

I'm definitely going to start doing some weighted sessions. First need something other than 2kg dumbbells! Any recommendation? I'm not sure about barbells, never used them! heavier dumbbells or kettlebells maybe?

• nineteentwenty
    Options

Thanks for the advice :) I'd probably do squats some time after a run, would that be OK? So run in morning, squat in evening?

Having said that, I've only got 2*2kg dumbbells so it's not exactly going be to very weighted at the moment :) trying to find some heavier ones at a reasonable price!

I've got to be careful with my knee after an old figure skating injury so am always careful of form when doing exercises like squats because of that.

That could be fine, just try not to do too much at once. Slow and steady wins the race- injuries put you outta the game for a while, and that's even worse than going slow.