Not matching calorie suggestion

How far over/under your daily suggested intake is too much/too little? I realize it varies depending on the suggestion, but percentage wise maybe? At what point should you worry about adding exercise or food to balance things out?

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    It's generally recommended to not go below 500 cals daily from your BMR rate.. you should lose 1lb per week on that deficit. As for over calories.. it seems to be the same... go over 500 per day and you'll put on 1lb a week.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    It's generally recommended to not go below 500 cals daily from your BMR rate.. you should lose 1lb per week on that deficit. As for over calories.. it seems to be the same... go over 500 per day and you'll put on 1lb a week.

TDEE. Not BMR.

OP -- As long as your goal is reasonable, you should try sticking pretty closely to it. You will have bad days of course, but while shrugging off being over by 100 or 200, or even 500 every once in awhile is not going to affect much in the long run, getting in the habit of shrugging off those things is a good form of self sabotage.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016

TDEE. Not BMR.

OP -- As long as your goal is reasonable, you should try sticking pretty closely to it. You will have bad days of course, but while shrugging off being over by 100 or 200, or even 500 every once in awhile is not going to affect much in the long run, getting in the habit of shrugging off those things is a good form of self sabotage.

I said BMR because that is what you would burn just by being alive without any extra activity. TDEE can vary for some reason and some people can overestimate their activity.. I have always rightly or wrongly gone by my BMR but that's just because I've needed to in order to lose any amount of weight. I would prefer to do it that way than diet for 3 weeks on my TDEE and find I haven't lost any (which alot of people experience) I guess it's just horses for courses. Most people go by TDEE I agree.. maybe I should have mentioned that too OP - sorry to confuse you!