Pre-surgery weight loss as a diabetic.

Options
Hello!

I am a diabetic with hypothyroidism. (Fun times!)

Anyway, my BMI has me in the "Overweight" column. I am 5'8" and 188 (now). I am planing on loosing 20-26 pounds before my surgery July 14th. As a diabetic, I have higher risks for post-op issues... especially if I am overweight.

My goal is to get to the "Normal" column before then.

My husband and I have been doing MFP for a few days now and have been tracking everything. I am considering getting a food scale because of many of the things I have read on here. I have been loosing weight, but I'm guessing it is the "easy weight."

I am not fit enough for anything more than long walks and short sprints. I played tag with my girls yesterday and it wore me out!

I'm hoping that with strict diet (I'm already pretty cautious about carbs) and daily activity I can hit my goal. It's 13 weeks....

What has been your experiences? Should I worry about weighing my food now? My goal is set to 1260/day, and I have been pretty good about being close to it.

My concern is that:

1. I'm probably not as accurate as I should be, but pretty close. It will probably be "good enough" to help me loose for a while.
2. I have a very busy, schedule right now. Adding too much into my life might just derail the whole thing. I know that weighing my food should not be an issue, but it took over an hour from time time my family ate last night to the time I was able to. I have a very demanding one year old and nine year old... and I'm a fifth grade teacher. "Me time" is about 20-40 minutes a day before I fall into bed.

I need to be as healthy as I can be before this surgery, and I want a quick recovery, and that means I have to get on it, and do it right.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Oh... as a side note, almost all of my weight in in my torso. I seriously get asked at lest once a week when I am due because I look pregnant. Joy right?

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Oh dear... lol. Well we all carry it somewhere - I often say that I have a second back side when i gain weight!
    I am a low carber so obviously I was drawn to the comment about your carbs.. you know eating a diet low in sugar/carbs is really supposed to help manage diabetes?
    As for weighing your food... yes if you really want to lose weight I think you have to weigh your food. It is far too easy to go over. But if it's taking too long, can you not find another way of eating that doesn't specifically require much weighing? Weight loss shakes? All you can eat from a set list of foods? What about making your family one meal and buying a ready meal for yourself? Okay - maybe not the best idea but at least you would be able to track your calories..There are plenty of other options out there so it may be worth your while to check out another way of eating if you think you could easily fail on that point.
    Walking is one of the best things you can do for a gentle workout for your muscles and heart, not to mention stress relieving. You can lose weight easily on a low calorie diet with a bit of walking added in. But if you're serious about losing weight in a specific timeline, you will have to commit to weighing portions/counting calories! (unfortunately, lol!)
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I buy meat and weigh out 4oz and put it in freezer bags so when its time to eat the meat is weighed you can weigh what vegies you want then or you can bag them up to. I keep small containers for rice, beans, or what ever in the fridge. This makes cooking fast and easy all you have to cook is for your family. My meals are very simple. Im trying to lose as much as i can also because on June 6th im having foot surgery agian
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i lost lots of weight just by walking. 1280 calories is pretty darn low for someone your height. just a thought, but lots of people here don't lose any weight being "accurate enough", because sort of accurate turns out to be not accurate at all. if we could eyeball portions, most of us wouldn't be here. and if you learn to weigh and measure without worrying about it, you may not need that surgery.

btw, i used to get asked all the time when i was due - even by a friend i hadn't seen in a while. i must say, nothing has ever made me feel worse.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mirabelle-
    I like the idea of pre-portioning ingredients. I think that could work for me. It sound like a scale is next of my list of healthy living needs.

We do a lot of frozen "steamer" vegetables- not sauced with a meat. I'll be honest- I love steak or just about anything grilled.

I can't really do many of the weight control shakes because of my diabetes. Many have just too many carbs. The pre packaged meals will not work- too expensive for both of us to do it unfortunately.

I think that I make fairly good food choices. My biggest issue is activity. I just run out of energy.

I have enlisted many of my friends and my husband into getting healthier with me. I don't want to say "in shape" because that implies that I'm working out and I'm not. I'm just walking and trying to do something active everyday. I'm not ready to work out.

Chulipa-
    the surgery is a huge motivating factor. I want a good outcome and recovery and I know my weight will play a large role in that.

Itsbasschick-
    I agree it seems really low to me too. But having done it for a few days I'm adjusting and it is not too bad. I just have to plan snacks so I don't have a low. I'm not going to freak out and berate myself if I have a high day- but I like having a goal. It keeps me focused. The long term goal is great but I like to be able to see that I did something today that will make a difference. Lol.

And yes... The pregnancy questions are painful. Lol. Had an extremely difficult pregnancy (gained 24 pounds in the last 19 days of my pregnancy due to water retention, preeclampsia, diabetes. I was on a very strict 90 carb a day diet, with several types of insulin- had two flight for life trips) anyway... My abdominal wall was destroyed and with the weight gain, diabetes and a sluggish thyroid... I just look pregnant. ☹️
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You go with what feels best and easiest for you.. if pre-portioning will help you, then you should definitely give it a go!
    Also... if you are making family meals.. a good way to do it would be to just add all the ingredients together and divide it by 3 or 4 (whatever your family size is) so you don't have to weigh every item than goes on your plate when serving up.. this could work for almost anything like chilli, spag bol, shepherds pie.. etc
    I will admit when I was calorie counting I never used to weigh my veggies.. my veg was free apart from potatoes, sweetcorn and peas..(higher calorie)

Walking will be great for you, and a really good start to getting yourself healthy as possible for your surgery.. no need to stress that you should be doing more. For your goals at the moment, that is plenty!
    Good luck! :)
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track! I did get a food scale and it is honestly not much work whatsoever. With all the logging and exercise it would be a shame to be ruining your effort accidentally.

It worked for me to start with one thing and then add another into my weight loss routine. Once you feel comfortable with the new changes, you can add the scale and see how you like it!

Walking is awesome for losing weight! Take care and good luck with the surgery! A speedy recovery to you!
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a food scale too. My progress slowed and although there were multiple factors, I know underestimating my calories in was one of them. It really is the only way to be accurate.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Mirabelle-
    I like the idea of pre-portioning ingredients. I think that could work for me. It sound like a scale is next of my list of healthy living needs.

We do a lot of frozen "steamer" vegetables- not sauced with a meat. I'll be honest- I love steak or just about anything grilled.

I can't really do many of the weight control shakes because of my diabetes. Many have just too many carbs. The pre packaged meals will not work- too expensive for both of us to do it unfortunately.

I think that I make fairly good food choices. My biggest issue is activity. I just run out of energy.

I have enlisted many of my friends and my husband into getting healthier with me. I don't want to say "in shape" because that implies that I'm working out and I'm not. I'm just walking and trying to do something active everyday. I'm not ready to work out.

Chulipa-
    the surgery is a huge motivating factor. I want a good outcome and recovery and I know my weight will play a large role in that.

Itsbasschick-
    I agree it seems really low to me too. But having done it for a few days I'm adjusting and it is not too bad. I just have to plan snacks so I don't have a low. I'm not going to freak out and berate myself if I have a high day- but I like having a goal. It keeps me focused. The long term goal is great but I like to be able to see that I did something today that will make a difference. Lol.

And yes... The pregnancy questions are painful. Lol. Had an extremely difficult pregnancy (gained 24 pounds in the last 19 days of my pregnancy due to water retention, preeclampsia, diabetes. I was on a very strict 90 carb a day diet, with several types of insulin- had two flight for life trips) anyway... My abdominal wall was destroyed and with the weight gain, diabetes and a sluggish thyroid... I just look pregnant. ☹️

Thats why i started 8 months ago
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, you could probably lose weight without weighing your food. However, using a food scale will probably make things easier for you.
    2. The more you log, the less time it takes because you build up your own personal list of "recent foods" that you can choose from. If you have a smartphone, you can log food at any time. And, if necessary, you can write it down on a post it note or similar, to be logged later. Some people also advocate pre logging.

Walking is great exercise, and most people here will tell you that losing weight really comes down to eating less rather than exercising.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that you have picked an aggressive goal, losing 2 pounds per week with only 20-26 total to lose (especially when you factor in your specific health issues). It is possible that you won't hit your goal, no matter how strict you are at staying under your calorie goal. Don't let that discourage you because any weight lost is a step in the right direction.