Body Fat %

Options
Tips welcome on losing body fat rather than scale weight please. Struggling with this.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance, get adequate protein and lift heavy. That's about the only way to try to reduce body fat without losing weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tips welcome on losing body fat rather than scale weight please. Struggling with this.

you want the same body weight but less fat ie more lean mass ?
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance, get adequate protein and lift heavy. That's about the only way to try to reduce body fat without losing weight.

^^^ This
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

^^
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp I'm just gonna jump on this thread because the giant recomp thread overwhelms me and because my question seems relevant to the original question here..

I've successfully lowered my body fat by 9% over the last year while eating around 30% (sometimes more) of my calories from fat. I'm starting to get really excited about being able to bulk, but I definitely want to get leaner first as I'm still sitting around 24% body fat. I've just made the decision to try to drop down to eating 25% of my calories from fat (and then after a while possibly drop down to 20% if I'm successful at 25%). Long story (question!) short.. Will lowering my fat intake help me lean out a bit more quickly?

(Sorry @LauraMcCourt I didn't intend to get so specific, but I hope it's still relevant!)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp I'm just gonna jump on this thread because the giant recomp thread overwhelms me and because my question seems relevant to the original question here..

I've successfully lowered my body fat by 9% over the last year while eating around 30% (sometimes more) of my calories from fat. I'm starting to get really excited about being able to bulk, but I definitely want to get leaner first as I'm still sitting around 24% body fat. I've just made the decision to try to drop down to eating 25% of my calories from fat (and then after a while possibly drop down to 20% if I'm successful at 25%). Long story (question!) short.. Will lowering my fat intake help me lean out a bit more quickly?

(Sorry @LauraMcCourt I didn't intend to get so specific, but I hope it's still relevant!)

@distinctlybeautiful Lowering or raising your fat take while keeping calories the same will likely have zero impact on the speed at which you lose body fat. From personal experience I needed more dietary fat when I got below 21% body fat, which meant I had to cut back on carbs. You'll likely find that it's easier to cut back on carb intake when cutting calories because fat tends to be more filling and your body needs dietary fat for metabolic reasons.

To summarize: cutting back on any macro alone while keeping calories the same will have zero impact on speed of fat loss.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Exactly. Eat 1 g protein per 1 lb body weight, lift heavy on a regular basis. Your body will transform like no other.