This will give you an idea what to expect for weekly loss:
Pound per week goals
75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

But....

Where are those pounds based off of? Our goal weight we want to achieve? Top of our normal BMI? Bottom of normal BMI?

Just asking because if it is based on our goal weight, I am approaching the first range switch. Based on something else, not so much.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    It's based on how many pounds you want to lose total. If you are 300 lbs and want to be 200, then 2 lbs a week is doable. You should reevaluate at intervals because the closer you get to your weight goal the less sustainable aggressive approaches are.

Basically if you're 300 lbs you can lose 2 lbs a week at maybe 2300 cals, but once you reach 250 your cals will need to be lower than that to sustain that rate, and likely be too little for you to psychologically handle. Please note I pulled those numbers out of my rear, use the calc.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    It's based on how many pounds you want to lose total. If you are 300 lbs and want to be 200, then 2 lbs a week is doable. You should reevaluate at intervals because the closer you get to your weight goal the less sustainable aggressive approaches are.

Basically if you're 300 lbs you can lose 2 lbs a week at maybe 2300 cals, but once you reach 250 your cals will need to be lower than that to sustain that rate, and likely be too little for you to psychologically handle. Please note I pulled those numbers out of my rear, use the calc.

TL;DR - adjust your weight loss goals and daily calorie allotments after losing a decent bit of weight, which is what I think you want to know.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Beaner63 wrote: »
    So I have seen this posted on quite a few threads:
    This will give you an idea what to expect for weekly loss:
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

But....

Where are those pounds based off of? Our goal weight we want to achieve? Top of our normal BMI? Bottom of normal BMI?

Just asking because if it is based on our goal weight, I am approaching the first range switch. Based on something else, not so much.

Just use goal weight, unless you know you're unusual in some way.

It's just a rule of thumb, not a precision algorithm. Another variant of the same idea is that you shouldn't lose more than about 1% of your body weight per week.

The basis is the fact that your body can only metabolize so much fat in a given time period, and that amount decreases as your weight decreases. If you shoot for more weight loss than can be achieved via burning fat, you're more likely to burn lean mass and have other negative health consequences.
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I look at it as meaning weight from your goal. It is just a guideline. You should be adjusting your calorie intake every 10lbs or so lost. Doing that you will come to a point that having a goal of 2 pounds a week just isn't giving you enough calories. That's when you should adjust your goal, slow down. And give yourself more fuel.

Where that guide comes more into effect is for people just starting. Honestly I wish the app would lock you out of categories that are unrealistic. If you set up your account and you weight 200lbs with a goal of 185 it shouldn't even let you set your goal to 2lbs a week. But that is a rant for another time.