Can't stick to a weight loss plan... recovering bulimia

Options
I have been on and off bulimic for 7 years and my weight has slowly gone up 60 lbs over this time. Before that I was obese and went on a 1500 calorie diet and lost 80 lbs on my own.
Now that I've gained most of it back, I find it so hard to stick to any healthy weight loss plan. My portion control and appetite is so skewed from bulimia. I love not having to think about what I eat or planning my days meals and just eating whatever when I feel like but unfortunate it has led to me getting more and more overweight. I get really stressed out and depressed when I try to watch my calories.
How can i stick to something for more than a day or 2. I really want to lose some weight. But i don't want to worry about counting calories and scrutinizing everything i eat for the rest of my life..

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I would suggest embracing a way of eating that is not overly restrictive, and just keeping an eye on your calories and your exercise.

I would also suggest seeing a licensed professional, including but not limited to a therapist and a dietician, who can assist you with meeting your goals in a healthy, sustainable manner.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree with the above comment. All you need to do is eat slightly below your maintenance level 4-5 days a week, then stick to maintenance the other days. If you really do that consistently and don't deprive yourself of food groups it will work. In fact it's the best way for everyone, especially females as eating up to maintenance needs more often helps keeps hormones stable and prevent binging.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to count calories, make yourself a meal plan. Use the tools here to make the meals. Then put them together in a binder and follow them. Make alternate choices you can mix and match with according to your mood. Then you won't have to count calories. If you don't have a plan, you will eat more than you need, because we are all merely human after all. Can't change that.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Agree with above poster. I think the key is not to be too restrictive. 1500 calories is a sensible goal, and you might even be able to go a bit higher to make this more relaxed. Logging here can help you, as well having a community of friends to keep you going. In time, your sense of control, portions and appetite will come back to you. I had related issues when I was young, and I find that aiming for low calories still makes me binge, so I don't do that. Slow and steady wins the race, in this case. Attention to nutrition can help you view monitoring your diet in a positive light, too, as it's more about what you need to eat (loads of fruits and veggies, among other things!)
    to be healthy than about trying to avoid eating. But do talk to your doctor and a dietician to help you get this under control. We're not experts here!
  • chocowalnut
    chocowalnut Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I Might try eating 1800 or so a day plus exercise, it's just hard bc I'm used to eating 2500-6000 call a day.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    You should speak to your doctor about this, if you've been diagnosed with bulimia.