ugggg

Options
Well I am a 30 year old man. I weigh 127lb my husband agrees that I should gain weight. I want to go up to 150. The problem is I can eat all day long and not gain but loose. I have started exercising to try to gain muscle weight. Well I have a hard road ahead of my but I am ready to do this.

Replies

• princessterrie16
    princessterrie16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your weight gain journey! I'm also trying to gain. I'm 94 and I want to get to 125 so that's a good 30 pounds. Hoping to gain it fast like 3-7 pounds a week. So I'm trying to eat at least 3,500-4,500 calories a day.
  • ellevs
    ellevs Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Eeeh let's say your TDEE is 2,400 calories given your age and weight.

You want to be in surplus, let's say 500 Calories daily (without exercise) On days you exercise, always make those calories lost in surplus calorie intake.

You want to gain? Do a 55% Complex Carb | 25% Healthy Fat | 20% Protein Macro plan...

Go to the gym and lift heavy, you'll see awesome results. I was exact same weight as you, now I'm a woman so my macros are different, but I gained 10 lbs in 2 months and mostly muscle. Being male, you'll gain muscle faster than me. You can do it.
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good advice all above!
    Add plenty of REAL FOODS to your diet, they are not packaged or processed!
    This means
    1. veggies eat as much as possible raw, like carrot, celery, tomato etc they contain proven nutrients to support the successful achievement of your goals!
    2. Fruits are fantastic sources of simple carbohydrate best after exercise and contain the trace minerals from the soil that we need for performance athletic pursuits
    3. Nuts and seeds are potent sources of micronutrient factors and can be easily packed in bags to munch on when you inevitably get hunger cravings that deserve healthy foods to justify all that hard workouts exercise!
    4. Drink plenty of milk and water and eat before bedtime and let the MFP App guide you through that last meal to hit your targets that remain open for the day! I find protein the hardest macro to achieve daily target, so 100% Whey Protein Powder in milk helps fund growth maximisation.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tink42985 wrote: »
    Well I am a 30 year old man. I weigh 127lb my husband agrees that I should gain weight. I want to go up to 150. The problem is I can eat all day long and not gain but loose. I have started exercising to try to gain muscle weight. Well I have a hard road ahead of my but I am ready to do this.

Underweight people overestimate how much they consume and overweight people underestimate how much they consume. You need to be consistent in your diet - day in and day out, you NEED to hit the caloric requirements to gain weight. Here is what you need to do!
    1. Calculate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) - this is how many calories you need to eat to maintain weight
    2. Eat +10% to 20% of that amount DAILY to gain weight. It takes TDEE+500 calories daily for +1lb per week, so understand this is a long journey where consistency is king
    3. Weight and Log everything you eat! For the first 3 weeks, everything that goes in your mouth needs to be on your MyFitnessPal account. This is to build the habit. You can find all the information online. I bet this is where you find you really were not eating as much as you thought you were.
    4. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Do something realistic, sustainable, long term. If you eat +500 calories over your TDEE, you will gain 1lb per week. If you find that you cannot regularly hit that amount, you can do +250calories for +0.5lbs per week.
    5. With this, you can chart your progress - i.e. at TDEE+250 calories I will gain 2lbs per month, so I will be on my bulk for ~12 months to reach 150lbs. Or at +500 calories, I will gain 4lbs per month and my bulk will be for ~6 months.

Also, since you are eating a surplus, I suggest finding a gym routine, 3 days a week to start if you have not. Being on a food surplus (i.e. greater than your TDEE) is an ideal time for the body to build muscle and size with some fat. But get your diet down first.

If I were you, I'd focus on diet 100% for the first 3 weeks until you don't have to think about it anymore. Then you can start choosing a gym routine and work on doing that 3x a week.
    Too many people try to do too much and end up quitting (look at the new year gym resolutioners... how many actually stay past January?). Good luck!

Edit: Also please note weight gain/loss is not linear - weight fluctuates a lot due to the many variables in a day. i.e. see below's example of a weight loss.
    weighttrendgraph1.gif
    If you feel the need to track yourself every day, weight in at the same time of the day under the same conditions (i.e. waking up after using washroom or right before bed).
  • princessterrie16
    princessterrie16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh and I try eating foods that are high in calories but aren't too dense. For example, I'll eat a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on potato bread as a midnight snack. The peanut butter is high in calories and potato bread has more calories than regular white bread. Or I'll always eat a couple slices of toast with butter with every meal, also on potato bread. I drink Boost Plus drinks with or in between meals, at least three times a day. I tend to eat a lot of fatty foods but I also workout at least 3 days a week. I am very underweight so I don't mind some fat but I would like to keep my stomach as flat as possible so that is where most of my workouts focus.