Runners - Question - what are splits? How do you use them to train? Puffy hands...

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
I've been walking a little over 3 miles each day and I do the Map My Run app and it's been giving me "splits". Now keep in mind I am a newbie so I'm just trying to figure this out. (Age 54 - 70 pounds to loose)

Total distance today was 3.27 miles which took 1:01:12 pace 18:44

Then it says Splits Pace/speed
  • 1 mi. - 19.41 min/mi
  • 2 mi. - 18:08 min/mi
  • 3 mi. - 18:26 min/mi
  • 3.27 mi - 18:15 min/mi

So is that okay? Where do I find out more about splits? How do I use this information?

I am working toward a 5K in January. Hoping to run some of it. I have plenty of time to train BUT it get's very hot and extremely humid down here. Also by about mile 2 my hands get puffy and hurt a bit. Nothing serious - any tips to prevent it from happening or to make it go away when it does?

Adding another 2 mile walk in the mornings while I can. Currently in job search mode so I have lots of time on my hands and want to keep it productive.

2 miles in a.m. - 3 miles in p.m.

What do you think?

Replies

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you're looking at doing a 5k, you may want to download a C2k5 program. That'll slowly help you build up the endurance you need to run the race. Most programs are 8 weeks, but you have plenty of time so you could repeat some weeks if you need to.

The heat beats down even the most experienced runners more than anything else. So I'd recommend going early in the morning if you live in warm climate. If you do go in the heat of the day, be sure to be very hydrated and listen to your body.

I live in Texas and rarely run later than 9a during the summer. In August it can easily be in the low 80s and humid by 8a.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Splits are smaller sections within a run. It look like the app you use automatically sets the splits to be 1 mile long, but splits can be any length you want. In training, when you do speed work, you will run sections at different paces, each of those sections is a split. Even splits means you kept a consistent pace throughout your run. Negative splits means that you ran the latter portion of the run faster than the first, and positive splits mean the opposite. Ideally, your splits should be negative or even, as positive splits indicates you started out too hard. If you are running for health, not competing, I wouldn't worry about splits.
  • Balaru
    Options
    I'm in south Louisiana so I agree with you gabbo34 - in the past if I went past 8:30 a.m. in the summer I'd have to call my husband to come get me. It's like walking through sludge and then you're spent for the rest of the day. This time I've been going in the evenings but in July and August that can be just as bad at 9 p.m. Hoping by starting early and being consistent by the time it gets really humid my body will be used to it.

Chiqui74 thanks for the info. I love all the "data" that goes along with the sport. I might play around with that after I've been doing this a little longer. Love tracking my mileage and time with my Runners world log.

I don't expect to win anything except a finishers medal anytime soon but I do want to keep doing this and maybe one day I will win my age group. Lol I want to be one of those 90 year olds that are still doing races. Mostly I want to be able to keep active well into my old age which is still pretty far off yet people my age are starting to fall and get hip replacements or even have heart attacks and die. Nope that's not for me.
  • Balaru
    Options
    What about the puffy hands - do ya'll get that?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's circulation related. I expect that as your fitness & conditioning improve, the hand puffiness will decrease. You could ask doctor next time you go in.
  • liftinggoddess123
    liftinggoddess123 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Puffy hands could be water retention or an alergic reaction to something on your route. Maybe even blood pressure related.
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used to have the puffy hands when I first started out. It's been a 3 months and they have disappeared. I track the number of steps, so if I get closer to 15k,sometimes the puffiness returns. But, for the most part, I'm doing OK.
    Good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your salt? Puffy hands may be from too much salt also. Be sure to stay hydrated and stay away from salt.
    I am 56 and am training for my fourth half marathon (race is in 2 weeks). You will be surprised and how much improvement in fitness you will obtain if you keep it up. I wasn't very fast when I started 3 years ago, probably my pace was about 16-minute miles.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands up while you're running (above your hip bones). Don't let them hang at your sides if you take break/walk. Keep elbows bent at 90* and keep that natural swing, and don't clench your fists. My coach called it the "chip grip": pretend like you're holding a potato chip between your thumb and first or middle finger and keep that delicate, relaxed hand as you run.

My hands only get puffy anymore if I'm not properly hydrated.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    So is that okay? Where do I find out more about splits? How do I use this information?

Splits aren't that important until you're really looking at race performance. All things being equal you should ideally have each of your splits at the same pace, but in practice you need to think about rise and fall in elevation, and the type of terrain that you're running over.

Personally I'm a trail runner, so splits really don't mean much at all to me.
    I am working toward a 5K in January.

So Couch to 5K is 8/9 weeks long, then Bridge to 10K is another six. That means that you've got plenty of time to get up to 10K by January.

Many people complete 5K training and then want to improve their speed, the easiest way to do that is to run for longer, hence suggesting going on to 10K prior to your race. I knocked 5 minutes off my 5K time just by running to 10K.
    ...my hands get puffy and hurt a bit. Nothing serious - any tips to prevent it from happening or to make it go away when it does?

My first thought would be hydration, but as upthread, as your fitness improves it should pass.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fit and a regular walker. I always get puffy hands in the warmer weather (live in Florida). I wouldn't let it worry you. You can watch your salt and stay hydrated and keep your hands up (all those things mentioned above) to help with it but the actual puffy hands don't seem to have any lasting effects.
  • Balaru
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'm in N'Awlins so I wear a camelback and take several sips on each walk. Haven't made it back to running yet but hoping I get back there soon. The puffy hands thing is definitely when it's hot and humid. Beautiful day today and humidity is down - not as much puffiness this a.m.

We'll see how that is this evening when I go form my 3 miler.