Not eating enough?

Options

In a nut shell, had my calorie intake at 1400, wasn't losing weight...very frustrating. So this week I've raised it because my theory is my body won't lose due to starvation mode??? I've also began five small meals a day as well. Any help is welcome. Thanks, trying to drop 20-30 pounds

8az1e41ecev1.png

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Burning 3,888 calories is a lot! It seems high. How is that number calculated?
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know on the Garmin app, that number is your TDEE, so it is including BMR and everything. I assume that's how fitbit works too.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as starvation mode. You are not losing weight because you err somewhere that causes you to unawarely overeat. That may be your exercise calorie estimation or food weighing.

My calorie counting isn't necessarily better than anyone. In fact it's probably the worst in term of accuracy. But the idiot proof of my counting is the consistency and the common sense of making adjustment. I keep the same calculation wrong or right and if I don't lose, I lower my intake by 200. No problem losing 2 lbs+ per week on average.

• helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Burning 3,888 calories is a lot! It seems high. How is that number calculated?

I think that number is complete calories burned, not just from exercise, but for 24hrs.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You weren't losing weight so you started eating even more. Makes total sense to me.
  • sk0524
    sk0524 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was looking into that as well. I gained when I ate less...my plan is to change what I fill up on..ex. to eat larger salads
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    The eat more to lose weight thing is a myth. Weight loss is not linear, nor is it an instant input/output thing. So even though you may have eaten at a deficit during the week, you may not see weight loss until a week later. This is why people think they ate more and lost weight, but it's not true. Other reasons why people think they eat more and lose weight is because when you have more calories to play with, your logging usually becomes more accurate. People tend to forget to log little tastes here and there when they don't have the caloric breathing room. Also, eating less calories cause some to have binging days where they "couldn't possibly" undo their weekly deficit, but they do. They don't log those days honestly or they just won't at all.

My question to you is how long has it been since you haven't lost weight? If it has been less than two weeks, that is not nearly enough time to let your body do its thing. A high sodium day, muscle repair from workouts, your time of the month, or a high carb day are all things that can make you temporarily hold water weight. Your 24 hour calorie burn looks fine to me; I'm 112 pounds and 5'3" and I get a TDEE of 1900 to 2600 calories working out for 30 to 60 minutes and walking 15000 to 30000 steps per day. Depending on your answer to how long it has been since you lost weight, my answer would be to give it time. However, if it's been a month or more, the issue is most likely on the food logging side of things.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you are eating more than you think you are, or giving too much credit for exercise calories. or a combination of the two. starvation mode, as *most* people think of it, is simply NOT true.
  • goodrichalicia
    goodrichalicia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its about what you eat not how much. if you eat as"clean" as you can. put natural food in your body you will feel full and loose weight i eat under 1000 cal i do not count cal just nutrition and i loose .5 lbs a day consistently for a week now and i feel great. No depression and more energy !
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Its about what you eat not how much. if you eat as"clean" as you can. put natural food in your body you will feel full and loose weight i eat under 1000 cal i do not count cal just nutrition and i loose .5 lbs a day consistently for a week now and i feel great. No depression and more energy !
    no, just no. Calories are king. Losing .5 lbs a day is not good at all. Mostly water weight. Undereating will cause you to lose a lot of muscle, cause malnutrition and is not sustainable in any way or form.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Nope. Wrong. How much you eat is at the very core of whether you gain, lose, or maintain your weight. Yes, the way you eat and choose to split your macros helps with satiety but if you eat over your TDEE in "clean" food you will still gain weight.

You shouldn't be eating 1000 calories per day and it's weird that you say you are since you, by your own words, don't calorie count. Losing a half a pound per day is not a healthy rate of loss unless you're 350+ pounds. However, since it's only been a week of that, I'm going to guess it's because your "clean" eating is naturally lower in carbs and some of it is water weight. Your rate of loss will eventually slow down.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Please disregard this, OP.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options

False. I lost twenty pounds with pure calorie counting, not really eating healthier. Foods that are higher in fiber and protein are more filling and make it easier to eat less, but it is still CiCo
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    OP, starvation mode means that if you are truly starving, aka eating less than 1200 every day for a while, your metabolism slows just enough to slow your weight loss. It does mot slow enough to cause you to stop losing weight, and certainly not enough to cause you to gain. If you are eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Think about it, people who are starving, people who are anorexic, lose weight. Theere is no such thing as "starving" but not losing weight.
    Harsh truth- if you arent losing weight it means you are eating more than you think, and burning less than you think. Eating more will cause you to gain more weight.
    Tighten up your food logging, measure everything with a food scale. Stop eating back all your exercise calories because chances are you are not burning as much as the app says you are.
    Eating smaller meals can help you to curb cravings to binge eat, but otherwise does not affect weight loss. Calories in, calories out.