Confused about eating below BMR

Options
Hi I'm Amanda
Age 39
Height 5ft
Current weight 13st 5lb
Goal weight 10st
Sedentary lifestyle
I've been on MFP for around a month, after inputting my info in I was given a daily calorie allowance of 1200 for 2lb loss a week. I've looked on various websites to find my BMR and TDEE, most sites state that you need to eat lower than your TDEE for weight loss but not below your BMR. My BMR ranges from 1450-1570 from different websites. Am I harming my body by sticking to the 1200 that MFP gives me. My weight loss has only been 2lb over the last month although I've lost inches and my clothes are becoming looser.
I would love to hear from people with similar stats to mine and what daily calories they are consuming and if they are seeing any results.

Replies

• MiikeCholas
    MiikeCholas Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    mfp has you at the correct cals and no as long as your getting the nutrients your suppose to be getting there should be no harm done to your body... if your 135 pounds 5ft I calculate your bmr at 1340.95 times your sedentary life style 1.2 you get 1609 calories for your maintenance calories (so calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight) so eating below this you will lose weight ...If you feel like you have to little calories in your everyday meals I would increase your calories to 1300 or even 1400 which you should be losing around a pound a week. But congrats on your results you have seen thus far ...Don't stop there going to keep coming and before you know it you will hit that goal in no time :) Goodluck!!!!
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    2lb over a month is great! 2lb a week is a tad ambitious.

I'd try to stick to about 1400/1500 and add in some exercise (walking, Shred, Couch25k) for your heart health and general well-being.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    mfp has you at the correct cals and no as long as your getting the nutrients your suppose to be getting there should be no harm done to your body... if your 135 pounds 5ft I calculate your bmr at 1340.95 times your sedentary life style 1.2 you get 1609 calories for your maintenance calories (so calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight) so eating below this you will lose weight ...If you feel like you have to little calories in your everyday meals I would increase your calories to 1300 or even 1400 which you should be losing around a pound a week. But congrats on your results you have seen thus far ...Don't stop there going to keep coming and before you know it you will hit that goal in no time :) Goodluck!!!!

Thank you x
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »
    2lb over a month is great! 2lb a week is a tad ambitious.

I'd try to stick to about 1400/1500 and add in some exercise (walking, Shred, Couch25k) for your heart health and general well-being.

Thank you x
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    Options
    I've just done my BMR online three different sites gave me the same number 1567
    So my TDEE is ( 1567x1.2 for sedentary lifestyle) 1880 - 500 for 1lb loss so if I stick with 1380 each day is that ok even though it's below my BMR