Is is better to exercise in the am or pm

Options
Is it better to exercise in the morning at the beginning of the end or at the end of the day before you go to sleep? Which has proven to be more effective for calorie burn ?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Neither. Just like when to eat meals, the timing of your exercise has no effect on calorie burn. Do what works best with your schedule and what makes you feel most comfortable.

Personally, I have found that exercising later at night keeps me from falling asleep. The endorphins or whatever act almost like caffeine on my system. I also prefer to do my walking in the morning during summer so I can avoid the hottest part of the day since I don't deal with heat well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Matter of preference. While there may be some advantage for some due to how their day goes, as mentioned above, consistency is more important and that just goes back to preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Whichever time works best for you and fits into your schedule.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Which has proven to be more effective for calorie burn ?

Calorie burn = time and intensity.

Do what fits into your schedule.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It's better to exercise whenever the hell you want
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Is it better to exercise in the morning at the beginning of the end or at the end of the day before you go to sleep? Which has proven to be more effective for calorie burn ?

Yes. B)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Right before bed? Unless it's gentle yoga - not good, winds me up, pushes back sleep.

Otherwise, what the posters above said.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I find I burn more calories if I work out in the morning...because I have far more energy and am willing to push myself an extra few minutes each day. I would have less to give my workout at the end of the day being tired. I'd probably be burning far less as a result because I'd do the bare minimum I "made" myself do.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm just one of those weird people who prefer nighttime workouts. I actually find they help me sleep better. But it's all personal preference. Any time is the right time.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can. I usually do cardio in the morning/early afternoon and strength train after everyone else is in bed. It's just what I can manage with my schedule.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Morning is when mine fit so morning is when they get done. I train just as well the occasional time I have to do afternoon though.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I find that I have more energy if I workout in the morning. But that's my personal preference.
  • FooDog82
    FooDog82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to train in the mornings so that I can have a big breakfast afterwards and get a lot of carbs in afterwards. I then find hitting my macros for the rest of the day a lot easier.
    But really it doesn't matter too much when you train, just do it when you feel you can work your hardest.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I prefer mornings but with a new work schedule I am not getting up any earlier than I do already so I live with evenings.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want. I workout in the mornings so I don't have to shower twice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Why would it matter? Timing of exercise has nothing to do with how many calories you burn...calorie burn is dependent on mass moved over distance and intensity.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I prefer in the late afternoon about an hour after dinner. It's just what works for me. The best time to work out is an individual thing. If I had to work out in the morning I never would. I'm not a morning type person.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Why would it matter? Timing of exercise has nothing to do with how many calories you burn...calorie burn is dependent on mass moved over distance and intensity.

It's a legitimate question, or at least legitimate enough that ppl have done studies about it. Ofc, in the real world, adherence is the biggest determinant of success. BUT I've seen studies where ppl actually do more work (=burn more calories) in the PM at the same rate of perceived exertion (RPE), i.e. exercise feels easier in the afternoon. Conversely, I've seen studies where the same workout is rated a lower RPE in the AM. *shrug* I suspect its personal, but most will do more work in the afternoon all else being equal.

Personally, I like morning workouts. My energy just feels a lot steadier. But if I actually look at my #'s, I'm able to move more weight during pm workouts.