Enchilada Casserole - two options - 350 and 430 calories/serving - delicious either way!

Options
Tweaking_Time
Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
edited April 2016 in Recipes
So we use this healthy food service called Go For Fit Fuel (only available in Missouri) for our at-work lunches - https://goforfitfuel.com/ - and one of my favorite meals is their enchilada casserole. After a couple of tries, I think I have approximated/mastered their recipe. My whole family loves it and my adult sons say it is amazing...I hope you find it to be that way too.

Ground (93/7) Beef -- 1 lbs -- 680
Enchilada Sauce -- 10 oz. can -- 75
Rotel -- 10 oz. can -- 68
Onions -- 1 tbspn -- 0 (or more to suit)
Taco seasoning -- 1 tbspn -- 10
Corn tortillas -- 4 servings -- 280
Mexican Cheese -- 224 gms -- 265 - I use a 2% milk cheese to cut back on calories here
total -- 1378 calories
1/4 recipe -- 345 calories

Brown ground beef - 93/7 is so lean you may not need to drain it - add onions and season to suit while cooking. I use salt, pepper, garlic powder and the taco seasoning

Add Rotel and Enchilada sauce to browned ground beef - simmer for a while until thickens (maybe 30 to 40 minutes)

OPTIONAL: Add black beans (drained) to above (with Rotel and enchilada sauce) if you want (this adds about 350 total calories - or about 88 calories/serving)

Once thick enough, remove from heat.

Place 1/2 of skillet fixings into 7"x11" (or smaller) baking baking pan.

Shred tortillas and cover skillet fixings with 1/2 of the tortillas and 1/2 of the cheese

Place rest of skillet fixings on top of prior layer and add the remaining shredded tortillas and top with remaining cheese

Place in oven for a few moments to melt cheese and serve. We often let it cool and cut it into 1/4's and package it up for work lunches. It also freezes/reheats very well.

Depending on your components, 1/4 recipe is about 350 calories (430 if black beans used)...it is delicious either way.

Garnish with jalapeno's (or not) - My wife makes me use all mild ingredients so I often top it with spicy picante sauce and/or hot sauce.

Here is the picture of the Go For Fit Fuel meal and this recipe looks pretty much the same when done.

07ny100rkos9.jpg

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing. Tex-Mex is one of my go-to cooking styles, and I'm definitely going to try this one!
  • colleenclark336
    colleenclark336 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    yum!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy! Appreciate you sharing the recipe along with the photo :)@Tweaking_Time
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to make this!!!
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just made this, and it's fantastic! thanks for sharing :smiley:
  • Tweaking_Time
    Options
    I am making a double batch tonight...will use the black beans but only a single can (rinsed) for the whole batch. It will still be under 400 calories per serving.
  • hunderwoman
    hunderwoman Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This looks so yummy. I can't wait to try it out.
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious I will definitely try your recipe . Thanks for sharing !
  • vitahill
    vitahill Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I made something similar recently, my husband called it "Mexican Hamburger Helper" but it was tasty and actually better the second day (much like regular enchiladas!) I put the stack of corn tortillas on a cutting board and used a pizza cutter to cut them into strips. I also added frozen corn to mine.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Nice job.
  • seabell007
    seabell007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    vitahill wrote: »
    Saving for later.

How do you save it for later?
  • Tweaking_Time
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Bumping my old recipe - this one is too good to pass up.

This recipe is a little labor intensive, but it does make 4 meals. I originally posted it months ago and we still make it at least 2 or 3 times a month. I usually make a double batch and freeze the extra. It reheats fine and tastes as good as fresh.

The only modification is that I now make my own enchilada sauce (recipe here: http://cookieandkate.com/2016/enchilada-sauce-recipe/ also labor intensive) that is much tastier and lower calorie than the canned.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sounds fabulous!