Weight loss

Options
First off I am new to this and I have made peace with myself that I really need to lose weight. So I have been on this eggs in the morning for breakfast and salad for lunch kick. So basically I am eating 3 meals a day and It is getting me know where because I work rotating shift work so my eating times vary. I started jogging and interval training 3 days a week. Can someone please give me some advice, I want to lose weight and tone myself. :/

Replies

• senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you should eat 3 meals plus snacks, something along the line like this: breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid- afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack, and your snacks should be good choices, like fruit, protein bars or shakes. plus at least 8 full glasses of water.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If your meals are satisfying enough, you won't need snacks in between.
    Make sure you're logging all your meals accurately (weigh with food scale) and staying under your calorie goal for the day and you will lose.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant as far as weight loss goes.
    If I ate 1500 cals all at once before bed or if I had five small 300 cal meals - it would still equal 1500 cals. It makes no difference when you eat them because weight loss comes down to calories
    For weight loss , all you need is a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn for weight loss. Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight.
    Don't get caught up in all the myths and tips that people give on here and all other weight loss -fitness sites. Theres no need to overcomplicate this.
    If you want to lose weight, eat at a calorie deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you mean it's getting you nowhere? Are you not losing weight? How long have you been eating like this? Or is it difficult to time your meals with your working hours? You don't have to eat certain things at certain meals, and you don't have to eat a certain number of meals, or eat meals at certain times of the day. Just make sure that you eat the proper amount of calories every day. Do you log properly?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    you should eat 3 meals plus snacks, something along the line like this: breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid- afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack, and your snacks should be good choices, like fruit, protein bars or shakes. plus at least 8 full glasses of water.

This op says in her title that she is concerned with weight loss.
    Your post says the op should eat three meals plus snacks. How would this help with weight loss ? What if I ate three meals all equaling 1000 calories then 2 snacks equalling 200 cals ? Would I lose weight ? NO ! So that would make your post not very helpful. You mentioned nothing about calories but yet the op States they want to lose weight. If I followed your post I could actually gain weight . for weight loss, meal timing is irrelevant and weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Telling someone to eat three meals and a couple snacks is not accurate info .
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food consistently, everyday?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Log your food, look at your calorie intake vs expenditure.

Use MFP correctly and you'll be fine. All that matters now is your willpower and dedication.
  • kvalhion
    kvalhion Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no real magic to losing weight and getting healthy. Your best strategy would be to log what you eat to estimate your calories, and stick to real, unprocessed foods without added sugar. Tracking calories gives you a baseline to go from if you are losing, not losing, or gaining and you can make adjustments. Eating clean is just smart for your overall health, including lowering cholesterol, lowering blood pressure, stabilizing insulin, etc. Do those two things and you will be 90% of what it takes. The other 10% you can tweak as you go. good luck!
  • senennieves
    Options
    by eating 3 meals , plus eating a snack, your eating about every 3 hours or so which keeps your metabolism fired up, if you look at any major fitness program to lose weight and getting fit like the beach body programs, or jillian michaels program they incorporate eating 5 - 6 meals( 3 meals and 2-3 snacks) look it up
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    by eating 3 meals , plus eating a snack, your eating about every 3 hours or so which keeps your metabolism fired up, if you look at any major fitness program to lose weight and getting fit like the beach body programs, or jillian michaels program they incorporate eating 5 - 6 meals( 3 meals and 2-3 snacks) look it up

But again, the issue is with calorie intake not meal timing or frequency which by the way is a personal preference.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Your metabolism doesn't get "fired up" by eating. If your metabolism "fire" has gone out, it means you're dead. Your body uses the same amount of calories to digest 1500 calories per day whether you consume that food in one meal, two meals, or six meals and snacks.

Call me a cynic, but recommending five to six meals/snacks a day means that programs like beach body and jillian michaels have five to six opportunities a day to sell you something, like the protein bars and shakes you recommended in your first post.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    What do you mean it's getting you nowhere? Are you not losing weight? How long have you been eating like this? Or is it difficult to time your meals with your working hours? You don't have to eat certain things at certain meals, and you don't have to eat a certain number of meals, or eat meals at certain times of the day. Just make sure that you eat the proper amount of calories every day. Do you log properly?

OP, are you there? Can you answer these questions?
  • senennieves
    Options
    true queen, you still have to burn more than you consume but eating 5-6 smaller meals helps with controlling hunger.
  • senennieves
    Options
    i used that method plus going Focus T25 and in 5 months i lost 60 lbs before and never had any problems feeling hungry, and i planning to do the same again to get back on the program, so far so good
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    true queen, you still have to burn more than you consume but eating 5-6 smaller meals helps with controlling hunger.

For you maybe not me and maybe not for the OP either.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

This is why context and fine print are important. That said, the OP didn't say anything about hunger issues.
  • kvalhion
    kvalhion Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ultimately the goal is to find something satisfying that can be sustained in the long term. Some people find preparing 5 to 6 meals throughout the day a lot of work, and eating smaller amounts not all that satisfying. Others find eating only two larger meals a day is less work and more satisfying. Others find that not eating at traditional times makes them feel left out. So ultimately its about what you enjoy.

Satiety is an important factor in making a new way of eating a long term habit. If you still eat processed junk foods, you may hit your calorie goals but setting yourself back by eating foods that block satiety signals and signal the body to keep its fat stores. Protein and fats are both very satiating while added sugar is the opposite. Just something to keep in mind.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Not for everyone. Some prefer two larger meals per day, and others prefer to 'graze.' It's entirely personal preference and whatever works for you personally. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. The only key to it is eating less than you burn in a day, in any manner that you prefer.