Weighted squats

I did squats with a 15kg barbell for the first time on weds (haven't ever squatted before). I managed it at the time, but my thighs are still sore! Will it be an easier recovery next time, or should I reduce the barbell weight?

Replies

• ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    I wouldn't suggest going to a technique bar, which is 10kg. 15kg is roughly the weight of a dog, heavy bag, sack of vegetables... It's not a challenging weight for an uncompromised adult.

Stick with 15kg for warm up, and put another 10kg on to see how it feels for a start. You're sore because you're untrained and your muscles aren't used to it. Not that it's hard.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Can be a week to recover from your first time, it's nothing to be concerned about.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    The first week or two are always the worst but it will pass. Stick with the same weight for now then increase later.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Can be a week to recover from your first time, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Exactly this. I was sore every time I did them for weeks. I thought it would never get better. It did. Just give yourself adequate recovery time. Recovery time is important also.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    as they've said, your first recovery will be the worst. give your muscles a couple days to heal and just make sure you don't add on extra weight too fast. I'm useless when it comes to converting kgs to pounds but I like to only add 2.5lb weights on each end each time I increase the weight - so a 5 pound increase most weeks. occasionally if I struggle with the weight then I do the same weight next time until it's not a struggle. and I recommend keeping a logbook so you always know where you're at. are you planning on following an actual lifting program, or just doing squats and only squats?
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    I did the same thing, could hardly walk for a day. It does not bother me and I am adding weight each time. It becomes so much easier.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Yup. When I take two recovery weeks in a row, the doms are unreal my first week back. And then nothing
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    That's called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or DOMS. Stick with your program and your DOMS should go away completely within 2 weeks.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Work out again and the soreness will very likely go away. You may find squatting at least twice a week will help you with this over time. It's just DOMS and nothing to worry about.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Thanks for your encouragement, everyone! Will work out again today. I'm going to do stronglifts 5x5. Let's see how it goes!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Perfectly normal. Your muscles are not used to the activity. Don't think as you progress, that you'll never be sore again. As for your progression, add weight when your current weight becomes to easy. Whatever you feel comfortable with. On leg day, try walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes, and stretch after your done. It helps.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Your first time you will ALWAYS feel abnormally sore. Stick with a regular schedule and you'll never feel this degree of soreness again, even when you start upping the weight.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Just an update - I went to the gym today and squatted the same amount, and am feeling great now! Thanks all!