Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    You can have good or bad workouts using free weights, machines or even a mixture of both!
    Someone doing compound lifts on machines versus someone doing endless varieties of bicep curls with dumbbells would be an interesting comparison.

Both have their advantages, disadvantages and suit different people, different goals, different workouts.
    Personally I like and use both plus bodyweight exercises.

How would that be an interesting comparison? Curls vs compound lifts? Those are completely different things.

And if the person's goals was simply to have bigger biceps, the one doing endless db Curls is gonna win.

That was my point....
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I can't use free weights, I get headaches when I do so it's machines or nothing. I choose machines. I am seeing a lot of progress in strength and endurance
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    That article seemed like promotion for TechnoGym.

"We're a company whose profits depend on people using machines! Now here are some experts to remind you that machines are effective!"

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    So basically strength training on a machine is better than not strength training at all.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    So basically strength training on a machine is better than not strength training at all.

True.. if the machine fits the user correctly, which it often doesn't. And if the user realizes that machines might not prepare them to lift things outside the gym. For example, squatting down to pick up a heavy box or suitcase and then lifting it overhead requires complex coordination between muscle groups - something that machines don't train. Someone who lifts heavy on machines may have a false sense of strength in a dynamic situation like that, and could end up throwing out their back, or hurting their shoulder, etc. So it's good to try to fit in a few freeweight exercises into a strength program. Even those who are injured can usually find some freeweight exercises they are able to do, if they look hard enough, or they work with a good PT. :+1:
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    There are some here who say that machines can't help much, but I think they can still be useful.