YOGA-GOOD OR BAD THOUGHTS

Options
I'm going to a Yin yoga class tonight. What should I expdcy, I've never done yoga?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Expect to have fun. Yin is relaxing. Yin yoga is yoga where you go into a stretching pose gently and hold it a long time (generally three minutes). They often keep the lights low and play soft music.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Yin Yoga is, but yoga can sometimes be quite challenging or sometimes it can be quite relaxed. Just go at your own pace, do what you can do. There's no need to do things exactly like the instructor does. Just breathe and don't stress out about doing it right. Listen to your body and how it feels.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Yin Yoga is different from other styles in that you hold the poses for a longer time. Try to get comfortable, and don't be afraid to move around to get comfortable. Take advantage of any props offered - blankets, blocks, etc. Tell the teacher this is your first time. If he/she is like me, she'll want you close so she can keep an eye on you.

Sometimes a yin yoga room is a little warmer (but not hot as in Hot / Bikram Yoga) so wear layers so you can adjust as needed.

I haven't done this style very often but did take a class while traveling that was simply amazing. My mind was sooooooooooo relaxed afterwards.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is a great beginner introduction to yoga. Expect it to be a very slow paced relaxing session focused on long deep stretches & breath & using lots of props like blocks & blankets & straps. Take advantage of this time to help clear your mind and become more aware of your body. You'll realize some stretches to be effortless and others very challenging. You may realize one side of your body is more flexible than the other. You will feel wobbly & silly at times, it's ok to laugh in yoga. Just keep smiling, keep breathing, find your center, channel your inner strength and surrender to the pose. Welcome to the wonderful life altering world of yoga!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yoga is awesome. Great for balance, muscle sense, flexibility etc.
    Yin can be "relaxing" but some yin classes are quite intense.
    Yin classes, as mentioned, can be warm, so yeah, layers are good.

I haven't done much yin either.
    I mostly do hatha (Ashtanga, Anusara), Iyengar and vinyasa flow.
  • jennineguidry1964
    jennineguidry1964 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback....I can't wait to let you know how it goes and how I liked it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Love yoga. Go to a 90minute Ashtanga class 3-4 times per week.

Like any new fitness routine, it takes time. It's called yoga practice, not yoga perfect. :blush:
  • jennineguidry1964
    jennineguidry1964 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I really enjoyed the class and will be attending another!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I really enjoyed the class and will be attending another!

Great!
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've been to Yin Yoga and I have never been so relaxed in my life. Everything had left me, I was a hollow shell with no worries, thoughts... It was serene.

Unfortunately I only went the once as it clashes with my weights class, but it was bliss.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    so glad you liked it! Yoga is great for your mind and body!
  • Lenco007
    Lenco007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I attended my first yoga class last week. It was slow and relaxing, but did contain several poses I found challenging to complete. However our instructor kept reminding us to do what we were comfortable with and not to worry if we had trouble. She was extremely encouraging and no one there seemed to care that I was clumsy and off balance. They all accepted me. Going back this afternoon
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Love yoga