Vitamin D deficiency

Options
Angela937
Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
So I found out at my last physical that I am severely deficient in Vitamin D. And there are so many side effects and other issues linked to this.

So now I am on a 5000 IU supplement per day, and will hopefully start getting a lot better.

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've been taking vitamin d 3000 units since June. I haven't noticed any changes in myself but the bloodwork says I'm not deficient anymore.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Me too. It's the sun protection.
  • laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have to take 6000 IU everyday to stay in the normal range. All my joints ache if I fall to low.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also have a vitamin d deficiency, so I was talking a supplement, but then I ended up having kidney problems and had to stop taking it. I have since restarted the supplements but at a lower dose. My levels didn't change very much though, even when I was taking 5000 iu/day, so I'm not really sure if I should bother!
  • LoniS
    LoniS Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling dizzy and having muscle spasms, which the doc has attributed to my low vitamin D levels (17). Did anyone else has these problems when having low vitamin D? I've just started taking a supplement.
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    lonis wrote: »
    I have been feeling dizzy and having muscle spasms, which the doc has attributed to my low vitamin D levels (17). Did anyone else has these problems when having low vitamin D? I've just started taking a supplement.

Yes, I did
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    maybe

200.gif

?

But what if

31Q8A7.gif

?
  • LoniS
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »

Yes, I did

Thanks, Angela. My head feels weird. Not like the room is spinning...more like a lot of pressure and it feels like I'm walking on a boat.

Hopefully the 50,000 vitamin D once a week will help!!

• InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I've been deficient for years even went into the single digits at one time, the aches and pains were so bad they were testing me for every autoimmune disease known to man at one point. But as long as I can keep myself in the 30 plus range I don't have the muscle and joint pain. When I get into the 50's consistently I really start to feel better and my energy increases. Summer of course is better for most of us. I personally take 20,000 a week of D3 all year long now. I get my blood and calcium levels tested twice a year.
  • LoniS
    Options
    What aches and pains did you have?

Thank you!
  • aprilmims
    aprilmims Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    After having chronic pain and fatigue for 2 years and being tested for almost everything you could possibly imagine, I just found out that I am vitamin D deficient. After 2 weeks of taking 5000 IU's daily, I'm starting to feel so much better already! It's really amazing how one vitamin can affect so much.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Indoor office job, little to no dairy in my diet, and a low functioning thyroid. I'm deficient too, and my gp told me to take 400 IU, the minimum daily amt. I got a second opinion, and now take 5,000. My sister takes a RX of 50,000 once a week, and 2,000 the other days. It's very common.
  • DarthJader89
    DarthJader89 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm vitamin D deficient and have anemia from a b12 deficiency, I'm no stranger to being exhausted all the time because of it! Before I was diagnosed with the b12 deficiency my immune system was incredibly poor and I was sick a lot. Since I found out I take 5000 IU's daily of vitamin D and a mimimum 1200 mcg of b12 and it's been a huge improvement
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing. My regular doctor put me on the 50,000 IU dosage once a week. Works great as evidenced by my last full blood panel that was done recently.
  • FitandFocused912
    FitandFocused912 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency. Was prescribed 50,000 mg for 12 weeks taken weekly. My weight loss efforts prior had been stagnant. Without changing my diet or fitness regimen it appears the D helped move the needle ever so slightly---not huge amount, just few lbs but prior saw none. I did not know that vitamin D attributes to low energy or muscle pains. Both have been issues for years. Can't really say that vitamin D has made too significant a change on that front
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I have to take 5,000 IU too. I started two weeks ago and already feel a difference.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend recently found out she is deficient. She too is now on supps.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just had a blood test as a routine part of my annual physical last week and I too am Vitamin D deficient. I'm at 17 and "normal" is 30-80. Picking up my prescription for the supplements this afternoon, I'm excited to see how I feel after a couple weeks of taking it! I don't think I've experienced any side effects from being deficient, but maybe I've been deficient for so long that whatever the side effects are just feel normal to me? We'll see I guess!