• e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Move out?

Aggressive, but so incredibly true.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Could you ask to see the recipe, plug the ingredients into the recipe builder with the servings the recipe says it will make, and then just log that as a rough estimate?
    This. Also, if a recipe is from a website, all you have to do is copy-paste the url into the appropriate field and mfp will do the rest. Beware, you'd have to double check the ingredients mfp matches to the recipe as sometimes mfp adds the wrong ingredient or amount in.

wait, what? how do we do this?
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Move out?

nail on the head
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Could you ask to see the recipe, plug the ingredients into the recipe builder with the servings the recipe says it will make, and then just log that as a rough estimate?
    This. Also, if a recipe is from a website, all you have to do is copy-paste the url into the appropriate field and mfp will do the rest. Beware, you'd have to double check the ingredients mfp matches to the recipe as sometimes mfp adds the wrong ingredient or amount in.
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    wait, what? how do we do this?

Don't. The recipe importer's so-called matching algorithms are unbelievably bad. Use the old recipe builder instead. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

See http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35918357#Comment_35918357

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    Why are people on here acting like 20 is old..? Lol.

20 is an adult.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Because 20 is an adult. My kids are 23 and 19. Neither live at home. My son is in college, so he will be home this summer for about 6 weeks, but starting in August he will be in an apartment full time instead of living in a dorm. I think a 20 year old who complains because her mom cooks her meals and doesn't prepare it (lo-cal) the way she wants comes off sounding very immature. If you don't like the way your mom does things then you are an adult. Move out and do it how ever you want to.

Yes, 20 is an adult. But she doesn't need to have a tantrum and move out because people here are telling her to. My son's in college too, and my daughter is home for the last few months before she leaves for school. She's vegan, and it's a pain sometimes to cook for her because she gets tired of same simple things. So it's a juggle for your mom, I'm sure, to please everyone. Be understanding, help out. Work with her.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,998 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Because 20 is an adult. My kids are 23 and 19. Neither live at home. My son is in college, so he will be home this summer for about 6 weeks, but starting in August he will be in an apartment full time instead of living in a dorm. I think a 20 year old who complains because her mom cooks her meals and doesn't prepare it (lo-cal) the way she wants comes off sounding very immature. If you don't like the way your mom does things then you are an adult. Move out and do it how ever you want to.

Yes, 20 is an adult. But she doesn't need to have a tantrum and move out because people here are telling her to. My son's in college too, and my daughter is home for the last few months before she leaves for school. She's vegan, and it's a pain sometimes to cook for her because she gets tired of same simple things. So it's a juggle for your mom, I'm sure, to please everyone. Be understanding, help out. Work with her.

No she doesn't need to have a tantrum and move out. But even if she stays there she is an adult and can always purchase and prepare her own food. The recipe builder is a good idea for her. That way she can log what she eats. But if you are 20 years old and complaining about the way your parents do things I think the obvious option is to grow up and move out on your own as you are an adult.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If she's cooking from a recipe, can't you just log the recipe? You're saying recipe, so I'm assuming she's not just throwing mindless amounts of stuff into a pan...
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I had to move back home to be able to quit a terrible job and leave behind a mentally unstable roommate, and I was 24. It sucks to have to live at home as an adult for whatever reason.

But either deal with it or make your own dinner. I never ate dinner with my family living at home for the second time. I always did my own thing by prepping on weekends for the week. I suggest you do the same! It's not so difficult.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 20 and live at home with my parents. This past week, my mum decided that we would make 'fancy' meals (ie, trying out recipes rather than just having veg, protein, carb every night). These have been great, but I am struggling to log these meals calorie-wise. I explained this to her last night, and she took it badly, saying that I don't like anything she cooks and scoffing when I said I want to lose more weight. Weight is a touchy issue with her, she is quite overweight, and I think seeing me lose weight so 'easily' upsets her.

Veg, protein, carb meals used to be really easy for us, because I'd take care of my own protein (vegetarian) and weigh everything. But now, my brother is a vegetarian, and he gets bored with those 'simple' meals, hence the 'fancy' dishes.

I want to just make my own meals most nights, but my mum takes that as a personal attack on her and her cooking.

Anyone have any advice?

Get the recipes from her and enter the recipes into the recipe builder in MFP. You can then select your portion and log it. Logging your own recipes is probably more accurate them selecting items from the database, and long as you record it correctly.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    So your mom largely accommodated your vegetarian meals, now your brother (you didn't say how old he is) wants "fancy" vegetarian meals and your mom is accommodating that, and now you also want low calorie "fancy" vegetarian meals...

Your poor mom.

I thought my kids were picky. I'll tell you what I tell my nine year old - if you can't find something you are willing to eat from the meal I serve, go fix yourself a bowl of cereal or something. Yeesh.

Read her original post and decide whether your condemnation is fair. She would be happy to prepare her own food.

I think people project a great deal on these kind of posts.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you think that involving your mom in building recipes on the app, etc might help her to see that losing weight isn't 'easy' for you either, just takes a lot of work?
  • bevhillsilly
    bevhillsilly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think she would be thrilled ( secretly or not) if you cooked a meal for the family once or twice a week.
  • icemom011
    Options
    I think she would be thrilled ( secretly or not) if you cooked a meal for the family once or twice a week.

Second that. As a mom of a daughter who likes to experiment with different degrees of vegan diet, aka asking to cook with water, instead of oil, because she decided to try oil free diet (!!!!!), i would appreciate every effort on her part to get involved and cook either for herself or the family, even if it's vegan. We eat a lot of vegan dishes, and all meats or non vegan sauces prepared and served separately so she can partake and we don't have to make so many different meals every time. But i can tell you, if i cooked vegan with water for her, and subsequently for us, and she comes home and tells me that she isn't going to eat, for whatever reason, not hungry, got herself some takeout, eat with friends, whatever, i will be upset and offended too. I took my time to accommodate her, and she didn't bother to tell me her plans? Doesn't seem fair to me, and on top of it we are stuck eating oilless dinner by ourselves? Not very cool, imo. I'm sure your mom is trying her best, talk to her, communication is the key.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Update: My mum and I have been working together to make the recipes she has been using a bit healthier (more veg, less cheese, etc).

To everyone who suggested that I move out, that's not really possible at the moment. Here in Australia, 20 is a perfectly reasonable age to still be living at home. I work part time, I study full time, I can't afford to move out right now. While I would like to (to experience living alone, to be closer to uni, independence), it just isn't an option, and I don't appreciate being told (quite rudely too) to do this, especially when it is not relevant to my original post.

Thank you everyone who gave some ideas of how to deal with this. I realise that ultimately, I am responsible for what I eat, and I am working on having smaller dinners and guesstimating as accurately as possible. I know that my mum just wants the best for me, so I'm working harder to show her that I do actually appreciate the effort she goes to to cook good food for the family.
  • icemom011
    Options
    So happy to hear that! Yeah!!!