Difference between measuring via cups v. weight

Options
tapwaters
tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
Has anyone else been amazed by the difference between measuring your food via measuring cups, or estimated counts v. actually weighing it?

Like the Alexia sweet potato fries, the "about 12" looks nothing like the actual grams. Or 1 cup of cereal v. the 33g it says.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This is the first day I have a scale. I'm impressed that for the first time in my life I can dig ice cream out of a carton and stop when the contents of the bowl reach 4.0 fl oz. Simply having that knowledge let me do so and know that this was not a cheat or a breakdown. It's just another day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is the first day I have a scale. I'm impressed that for the first time in my life I can dig ice cream out of a carton and stop when the contents of the bowl reach 4.0 fl oz. Simply having that knowledge let me do so and know that this was not a cheat or a breakdown. It's just another day.

I had a similar experience with my food scale. I find weighing portions easier than using measuring cups and it gave me the confidence to eat foods that I found hard to measure accurately. It made a big difference to my mental health while losing and I wish I'd bought one sooner.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I just recently switched to measuring everything in grams. It's helped me in a big way! Now I have to go adjust all my frequent foods and meals in MFP to show grams instead of cups and ounces.

I agree a food scale is a must if you're using MFP. They're very inexpensive and easy to use. Good luck everyone!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Are you saying I should start weighing my protein powder.. :worried:

3ryv71q09zoi.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yes! I could have cried over how small a serving of cheese/peanut butter is. So small... :cry:
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I found that I ate more once I started weighing all my food. It took all the guess work out. I'm well versed in proper kitchen technique (i.e., I know how to do proper measuring), but even with the best measuring technique it's inexact -- there's always going to be a small error one way or another. And I always wanted to make sure I erred on the side of under measuring. So I was "cheating" myself.