The Woo That You Do (Or Did)

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    First of all, "We" are the reason for success (and/or failure). Not MFP or any specific "diet plan".

Second of all, 99.999... percent of diet plans are BS (JMO). The diet industry makes billions of dollars a year off of poor people who lack the knowledge to maintain a healthy body weight on their own, and most of them do not advise a healthy weight loss rate (that should be a red flag right off the bat).

I was lucky enough to learn the basics of fitness and nutrition when I was in the army, and when I became obese, I had enough knowledge to know what I needed to do to get back to and maintain a healthy weight.

I found that keeping it "slow" and "simple"is the best way. my plan was to do it over years, and not weeks or months. This allows time to develop good habits, learn how to eat smarter, and gradually reduce the bad things without shocking my system and setting myself up for failure.

The hardest part for me was the exercise (yes, exercise). I was so out of shape and over weight that I thought I was going to die at first. But once I got to the point where I started increasing my fitness level, it slowly became the main factor in the process.

Here is my simple plan

don't try to lose more than 1 lb. a week
    steady state cardio for at least 30 to 60 minutes every day (you can take a day off per week if you want to)
    muscular exercise 2 to 3 times per week
    eat a variety of food to insure you get enough nutrients to keep your body healthy
    eat smart, and gradually reduce the junk foods

once you reach your healthy body weight, you can maintain it very easily with the good habits that you have developed. You can eat that extra 500 calories a day, and reduce your exercise down to the recommended 150 minutes a week, and 1 to 2 sessions of muscular exercise (if you want to).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Great thread! At last it "clicked" for me how I could have been so full of misconceptions, when I actually knew about calories - I understood something about calories - exactly! My knowledge was superficial and not really useful for real life. I believed that I had to eat low fat because fat had "too many" calories, and that I "couldn't" eat candy or chocolate or chips because it was too energy dense. Somehow it would eradicate all my effort. I also believed there was an "ideal" diet, not very clear to me, but I think it included celery, cottage cheese and black rye bread.

I haven't done any spectacular diets, but I dreamed for years about liposuction, fat camp (even had wild ideas of a concept resembling WW2 concentration camps :s ) and hypnosis. I also tried, half-arsed, chromium and chitosan, and bought some other obscure "weight loss supplement" and a scary looking bottle of "fat burner" pills, neither having any effect, of course.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Thinking running every day meant I could eat whatever I wanted. And I usually did eat around 2,500 calories per day. Not good when you're 5'2"
    I know someone that's doing that right now, thought I'm not sure the exact calorie count. It's working for them because they're a heavier person, are already active at work, and aren't really able to eat during the day due to being busy.

She keeps telling me she's fine because she runs. I can't imagine what it's going to be like during the summer.

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Tried Atkins in high school, couldn't maintain it long enough to lose. Felt like crap, low energy, head in a fog, increased migraines. I'm never doing low carb again
    In college tried to only do exercise but wasn't willing to watch what I ate. Got slightly more toned, didn't lose.
    After college tried just drinking green tea every day and changing nothing else. Yeah, that didn't work haha
    Finally started MFP 2 years ago, lost 20 lb and got to my goal weight...then immediately got pregnant.
    Now I am back and only a few pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight thanks to MFP.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I tried Dexatrim in high school and thought that taking it would magically make my body not absorb calories in food (even though that's not what it advertised to do, I made that *kitten* up in my head). I tried Slimfast and Nutrisystem and gave up after 2 weeks only losing 2-3 lbs.

I figured it was easier to just stay fat.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2016
    The first time I lost a significant amount of weight (30 lbs) I was in 9th grade and decided to give up junk food (candy, cookies, etc.) for Lent. Not sustainable, because I love my sweets!

In the 90s I was totally into Suzanne Powter's "Stop the Insanity". I believe the cornerstone of her plan was not to eat anything with more than 3g of fat in it. Again, not sustainable for me.

I've done South Beach, which worked initially. But it didn't teach me anything about portion control, and once I was able to add in the foods that were forbidden in the early phases, the weight came back on. I have no idea what it means to eat "to satisfaction". I have to weigh out a portion and eat that; I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably always have to do that.

I've also done Weight Watchers, which I don't really consider woo. The first time I did it was after the weight came back on when Lent was over in 9th grade, LOL. It's just calorie counting with smaller numbers (first it was "exchanges" then "points"). But I got tired of paying for it, hence my arrival here on MFP.

I had a mother who was always thin and never had to try to lose weight. But she had a lot of common sense and was able to steer me away from any of the crazy fads that a lot of people fall victim to.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Atkins. Stayed on it for about three days. Felt worse than I ever had with the exception of when i had the full blown flu. Threw it out the window. Any diet that tells me I can't eat an apple is for the birds!!!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I never really tried to lose weight before apart from the occasional fad diet ala cabbage soup and its ilk when my friends did them just for fun, so I'm afraid I don't have and particular diet woo under my belt.

It wasn't for weight loss per se, but when I was a in my late teens I bought into this whole "water fasting is the ultimate health elixir" things. I came out of it with intestinal obstruction and anemia. This whole kick lasted about 5 or so months of short 1-3 day fasts and the occasional 5 day fast which weren't that bad. It's when I decided to go 2 weeks that all hell broke loose.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Hoo boy... during college, I drank slim fast like a fiend. Nevermind that "dinner" often consisted of more than a day's worth of calories of chocolate or other candies. I tried restricting my food intake. Didn't work. I felt cheated, as I often tried to "eat my feelings" or soothe bad feelings away with junk food. I also tried nutrisystem, which was pretty disgusting, to be honest.

For me, calorie counting is much easier. If I want the damned chocolate, I can have it, BUT it has to fit into my daily allowance! LOL!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Slim Fast and Lean Cuisines for 4 months in college. Lost the 'Freshman 15', but it was a miserable experience! It did work, and I was mindful not to gain the weight back, so really any diet will work. It is adherence that counts, and some programs make you so miserable that you quit plus they don't teach you better eating habits.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I've done slim fast (disaster), low fat plans, switching to whole grains, cutting "added" sugar, watching portions, just exercising without changing diet.. Some of these things worked initially but weren't sustainable for me, other worked okay, but I would get "stuck" at a weight that was still too heavy for my height. I started doing LCHF three years ago and have been smack in the middle of normal weight for my height ever since (outside of a recent pregnancy, but that weight is all gone now). It works for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    What bad weight loss plans or advice did you follow before getting onto calorie counting? How did you come to the conclusion they didn't work?

For me:
    * Nutrisystem: Under the old shelf-stable plans. Tasted awful, lost a little, but not worth it. Sad cracker pizza.
    * South Beach: Worked ok for a few months, but the rules were hard to follow where work had me eating out a lot and/or I couldn't keep the schedule that was recommended. Also pretty expensive for the foods you had to choose.
    * 4-hour Body: Just dumb...didn't work
    * Various supplements at various times. Never made a difference.
    * Weight loss center: Worked great, I did lose and a lot. Also was expensive, and would have been more if I had bought all the bars and supplements and other stuff they peddled. I also realized I was eating extremely low carb and low calorie and that made me feel like crud. I felt much better once I re-upped my carb level.

While I was doing the weight loss center plan I started using MFP and realized I could still make progress while eating more than their mail plan recommended (same time I upped the carbs). After the plan, I didn't need to follow their recommendation anymore but kept with MFP.

Curious what "schedule" south beach had? Other than 3 meals and two snacks I mean.

4-hour body is kinda dumb.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    When I read threads like this I feel so lucky that I didn't have to go through what many of you did.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    What bad weight loss plans or advice did you follow before getting onto calorie counting? How did you come to the conclusion they didn't work?

For me:
    * Nutrisystem: Under the old shelf-stable plans. Tasted awful, lost a little, but not worth it. Sad cracker pizza.
    * South Beach: Worked ok for a few months, but the rules were hard to follow where work had me eating out a lot and/or I couldn't keep the schedule that was recommended. Also pretty expensive for the foods you had to choose.
    * Weight loss center: Worked great, I did lose and a lot. Also was expensive, and would have been more if I had bought all the bars and supplements and other stuff they peddled. I also realized I was eating extremely low carb and low calorie and that made me feel like crud. I felt much better once I re-upped my carb level.

While I was doing the weight loss center plan I started using MFP and realized I could still make progress while eating more than their mail plan recommended (same time I upped the carbs). After the plan, I didn't need to follow their recommendation anymore but kept with MFP.

Curious what "schedule" south beach had? Other than 3 meals and two snacks I mean.

Maybe he's referring to the "phases" of SBD. Phase one is very limited in what you can eat. Then in each subsequent phase you add foods back in.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2016

For me:

Maybe he's referring to the "phases" of SBD. Phase one is very limited in what you can eat. Then in each subsequent phase you add foods back in.
    Ahh, perhaps. Yes, the optional phase 1 can be pretty limiting I guess.
    I do see the point to it, though, for folks who have a hard time moderating sweets.