Gallbladder removal

Options
I had my gallbladder removed about 3 months ago and have trouble keeping any foods down, even switching to a low fat diet does not help, does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• ohpretty
    ohpretty Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I had Gallstones, it was really hard for me to eat anything fattening, fried, or dairy until my Gallbladder was removed. Once it was removed, I was literally afraid to have any of these things for a few weeks, and was very very careful. It only took about two weeks for me to start eating normally again and I was completely fine.
  • virgogirl916
    virgogirl916 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in 2009. I still have issues with my stomach.
  • ohpretty
    ohpretty Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I should mention that I have trouble with acid reflux about once or twice a month that I didn't have until after my removal (about three years ago, now). That goes away with Prevacid, though.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @virgogirl916 I have been doing a lot of research and it seems it's different for everyone, but I have read a lot of people have issues for a long time, I hate it, make me paranoid to eat anything when im not home as im usually sick straight away!
    Is there anything you eat which doesn't seem to be as bad as some things?
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    It varies form person to person - I have seen people who go years without adjusting, and others who dont have to modify their diet at all - if you had gall stones then it means your body wasn't adjusted perse to not getting adequate bile (unlike someone who has a dysfunctional gallbladder) so it may take a little bit longer.

as I am sure your doctor has said low fat diet is generally the best to avoid the symptoms but unfortunately sometimes it just takes more time
  • ironmaidenchick
    Options
    Ahhhhh acid reflux is ****, I get it really bad at night time but have just been prescribed some meds to get it under control so hoping they help
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Heard supplementing with ox bile or bitters promote more bile in your digestion can help
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed way back in the olden days of 1977. I still cannot much fat or I have bathroom issues. I had morning sickness for a full year after it was removed. The doc said some people just react like that.
  • Snicklefritz81
    Snicklefritz81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of problems with too much fat for about 2 years, give or take. Then made some changes in my diet for other reasons, and now I have no issues with eating things higher in fat.

I think it does really just depend on you, and your diet.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me. I had the biggest problems for months! But they told me it was because I got a pancreatitis from the surgery which then led to a large cycst pushing against my stomach. I never knew problems like this could simply come from your body dealing with the lack of a gallbladder. Further proof that the doctors involved were douches. :(
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Definite "bathroom issues" for everyone I know who has had this surgery, especially immediately after eating. Since all I have is "sludge" in my gallbladder on occasion, surgery would be elective, meaning I'd have to pay the whole amount. Pfft! That sludge is not comfortable.
  • ironmaidenchick
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, wow 1977 that would have been a big surgery, I had what they call non invasive where they pulled the little sucker out through my belly button. Still pretty painful afterwards and still get pains where it used to be but definitely better than having a gallbladder attack :-)
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in November, but the only problem I had after was mild heartburn after eating or drinking (no matter what it was, even a glass of water). That last a couple of weeks, and since then, no issues at all.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Mine was taken out 31 years ago in 1982. I was pregnant with my first child and having sharp pain in my right side, but my OB blew it off as "just normal pregnancy pains." Well, not only did I deliver a baby, shortly afterward I delivered 19 gallstones after having major surgery. This was long before the arthroscopic procedure used now (I wish). I do remember having issues with fatty foods for a while, but don't have that or any other problems now. Just don't eat what makes you feel queasy and give it some time. Hopefully, your body will adjust and you'll feel somewhat normal again.

Edit: added 1982.
  • ironmaidenchick
    Options
    Wow 19 stones, that's crazy! I just had one big sucker.
    Unfortunately no foods are good for me at the moment, does not matter what I eat it still makes me sick, sometimes its straight after or sometimes an hour later. Im guessing give it time for my body to adjust and hope that it gets better, the only plus side is the weight loss although it's not a healthy way to lose
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the lucky few... I took it very very gently for a couple of weeks after the surgery, very bland diet, easy on the system. Gradually as I felt up to it I added things back and paid attention to how I felt afterwards. By a couple of months after the surgery, I was back to eating all the foods I'd eaten before... just in smaller portions and more greens. Overall a more balanced diet, but I haven't had to cut anything out entirely.
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    when i had my gall bladder out it took awhile to be able to keep food down. there are still moments where if i eat really unhealthy (pizza wings ect.) that i will still throw up !!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 3 months ago and have trouble keeping any foods down, even switching to a low fat diet does not help, does anyone else have this problem?

You need to go to your doc--that isn't normal. Your digestion should be somewhat better than before your surgery by now. It is possible that the surgeon damaged the common bile duct and that you have gotten some obstruction from scarring. I would go sooner rather than later. Your GP will probably run some blood chemistry studies. Good luck.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the lucky few... I took it very very gently for a couple of weeks after the surgery, very bland diet, easy on the system. Gradually as I felt up to it I added things back and paid attention to how I felt afterwards. By a couple of months after the surgery, I was back to eating all the foods I'd eaten before... just in smaller portions and more greens. Overall a more balanced diet, but I haven't had to cut anything out entirely.
  • ironmaidenchick
    Options
    I have seen my doc and had bloods and all sorts of other tests done, so am awaiting the results, next step in an endoscopy to see whats going on inside my stomach.