Biggest increase you've seen after a binge?

Options
I know it's common than see the scale go up after an evening of going over your calories, and that it will go away, but I was just curious what the biggest "gain" people have had and how long it went to go away? I'm feeling a little guilty after overindulging at a baseball game last night.

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Seven lbs up in one evening of indulgence. Down to starting point six days later. Actually this was recent - indulged on my husband's birthday last Monday - was 145 that morning, went up to 151 the next morning, down to 148 Wednesday, back down to 145 today.

Edited to add - that was my most extreme example. Usually an evening of indulgence adds 2-3 lbs and is gone within 3 days, but I really enjoyed myself on dh's bday :D
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's usually 2-4 lbs for me. Takes about 3-4 days for all the water retention and stuff to go away. I've been binging all week so I can relate. Just try to remember that it isn't your true weight and it will go back down eventually but most importantly, forgive yourself! It happens. Today is a new day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Any gain from a singular event is going to be water and waste so it's really not worth your time worrying about it.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I was just curious to see what others had experienced :smile:
  • Danimri84
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any gain from a singular event is going to be water and waste so it's really not worth your time worrying about it.

As I stated, I'm aware of that, I just wanted to see what was average for most people.

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I actually don't think i've gained anything off binges... I try my best not to go too overboard.
  • JemPuddleduck
    JemPuddleduck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not sure on exact numbers but mine is always worse after eating salty foods, probably higher water retention.

The worst gain in weight I have logged was the week before my period, where ny weight went up 7lbs.

Has always returned to normal/less by next weigh in.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    About 3lbs during easter as I went to visit family and was away from the gym. Took about a week for it to disappear and go back to Pre-Easter weight.

It was two weeks essentially of wasted potential weight loss, but heck I enjoyed it!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it isn't binging that puts the most temporary weight on me, but days where i might have multiple large mostly lettuce and spinach salads. they have lots of bulk but not many calories because of the lettuce. i've seen 3 extra pounds on top of my normal end-of-day weight increase.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I went to a party last night...my friends served up street tacos...I think I had 8 of them...a few beers...a few shots of tequila and a couple glasses of wine...lost 2 Lbs from yesterday.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is only weigh once per week at a similar time on the same day etc. That way even one binge should be possible to rectify. If you hop on the scale the evening after a binge it probably isnt a true show of your weight
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I spent 5 days with my sister while her husband was in the hospital (15 days!) with a pretty serious illness. During that period didn't exactly binge, but if she wanted wine or a loaded burger from her favorite hand-patted hamburger stand (and they WERE wonderful) I joined in without a murmur. Calorie counting was not a priority - I was there in a support role and my concerns were definitely not the priority. 4 lbs showed up a few days after I got home (don't know why it took so long) and, for me, they didn't melt away. It has taken almost a month of careful calorie counting. But I'd do it again and will do anything it takes to make her load lighter.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    5lbs gain, still hasn't gone over a week later, but AF turned up a few days ago too lol. I'm hoping I'll be back down by weigh in Friday (2 weeks after)
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't even need to binge if I eat certain types of food. Like, if I eat a donut, even if I don't go over my calories for the day, I will always weigh at least 2 pounds more the next day. Don't know what it is about donuts. I know it's not real gain and it always goes away in a few days, but it does tend to keep me away from donuts!
  • Doit4theOMG
    Doit4theOMG Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I went over 2k cal over what I normally eat and gained about 4 pounds. Took a whole week to get back to where I was before
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I remember the Friday after Thanksgiving of 2014. I had gotten down to my all time low the week before. I made the mistake of getting on the scale after going all out on Thanksgiving. I think I was up 5 lbs. I pounded out a LONG run trying to make it up.

Now I don't even get on the scale. My wife had a milestone birthday yesterday. Absolutely DNGAF about calories at dinner last night. (And had one of best meals I've ever had.)

• faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been up 20 lbs from a binge that included a lot of sodium. Two weeks later it was gone.... nothing to worry about :)
  • Danimri84
    Options
    Best thing to do is only weigh once per week at a similar time on the same day etc. That way even one binge should be possible to rectify. If you hop on the scale the evening after a binge it probably isnt a true show of your weight

I know I isn't a reflection of my true weight. As I said, I asked because I was curious about the experiences of others. I weigh daily and use a weight tracking site to monitor fluctuations and see my overall weight "trend" is moving downward.