Running and peeing

Options
2»

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    you are probably over hydrating immediately before your run.

No, I'm not. Like I said I drink one cup of coffee, that's it. I keep myself hydrated later on/throughout the day.

I think some people are misunderstanding. I'm not losing control of my bladder/pissing myself. I'm having to deal with the strong urge to urinate during a run which makes it very uncomfortable.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You said you only have the one cup of coffee before you run and you don't think you can give it up. I think you're stronger than you think you are and you should give a run a try without the coffee before hand.

If you still have the problem, consider going to your doctor about the issue or you could do what my mom did in the Navy, and wear a pad/sanitary napkin specifically for this purpose.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain. I run in the morning, after peeing and before drinking ANYTHING because since the fourth baby I cannot run without peeing some, she broke something in there. Sometimes I run a path that takes me back by the house so I can go in and pee again during the run, and, well, black yoga pants and plenty of sweating.

In a race I just try not to worry about it too much.

On the needing to pee or poop during a run, that's very common and if you run at the same time each day you can try to train your body to go beforehand. Get up earlier, drink the coffee earlier, go use the bathroom then run. I don't actually have enough time to do that, already getting up close to 5am to fit the run in before kid dropoff, but this is what the fiancé did, he goes in to work later so got his body scheduled to eliminate before workout.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    This sounds silly, but I try to tell my body to sweat out the pee :wink: It really seems to work!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thank you for the suggestions.

I do already get up at 4:30am so it would be hard to go any earlier. The exception being weekends where I could just run a little later.

@lilaclovebird I know I could go without the coffee, but I really don't want to! :P I will if I really have to, though.

I'm going to try some things, but hopefully adult diapers are not in my near future 'cause that sounds super uncomfortable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would try the new period underwear first before adult diapers- My friend has them- says they work pretty well- perhaps with a liner- they might be just what you need.
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I would try the new period underwear first before adult diapers- My friend has them- says they work pretty well- perhaps with a liner- they might be just what you need.

I just read a review of them and they sound pretty great.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I had to give up caffeine, but you could try these http://www.poise.com/products/impressa/detail/sizing-kit

Fascinating! So basically a vaginal insertable that keeps pressure on your urethra? I didn't know this existed but it makes sense. Sounds a little uncomfortable but maybe if you're just using it for an hour while running it's okay.

OP, I haven't had the urge when running, but I've heard it's really common so I would just plan a route that has bathroom stops (or nice wooded areas) for your comfort.