Running with a jogging stroller

Options
tzig00
tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
I need some advice. During the week I run on my lunch breaks without my kids because they're at daycare but on the weekends I run with my youngest in the jogging stroller. I am finding it so much more difficult to run with the stroller since you can't swing your arms. I tend to keep my shoulders stiff which puts tension on them and shoulders just ache by mid run. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this a little easier?

Replies

• rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
  • rickloving
    Options
    Not really, but you can get a nice arm workout in also by alternating a 1 handed push off (release the stroller to roll ahead of you) with two swings of the arms at each push off (as long as your stroller tracks true).

This will allow you "some" arm swing... but not as much freedom as running without...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just give it a shove every few steps and try to catch up with it?

Well, not around traffic. Or down hills. Totally bad idea.

I'm with the one arm at a time suggestion.
  • rickloving
    Options
    If you are uncomfortable witht he thought of giving slight push offs...get a small dog leash and attach the stroller to you, with a lttile lead. You can push of but without the fear of the stroller getting away from you...
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem, but I wouldn't get sore until after. Once I realized it was the stroller, that was half the battle. I made a conscious effort to drop my shoulders while running, and after a while, I didn't have to constantly tell myself anymore. Also, I DO push off and swing my arms a bit. It feels like more work that way, but seems to help.
    BTW: I'm a slower runner w/the stroller, but my calorie burns are higher. :)
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Or sometimes a light hand on the bar instead of gripping it. Like, just my fingertips.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I'm definitely going to try going at a slower pace and pushing it forward a little with a leash. Here's hoping I can figure this out before my 5k that I'm running with it. :flowerforyou: