Is there any cocktail that is diet approved?

2»

Replies

• epizia
    epizia Posts: 1 Member
    Tonic is a type of sweet soda and is loaded with sugar. Soda water, on the other hand, is just fizzy water and is calorie free. I have type 1 diabetes so I mostly stick to Old-Fashioned style cocktails but without simple syrup or variants of a Manhattan. It's worked for the last 20 years to control my blood sugar but alcohol itself has a lot of calories. No sugar, but a lot of calories nonetheless.

If you want to have something in your hand but don't really want to drink alcohol get a club soda with bitters and lime. Probably 3-4 calories at most.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I had a glass of wine pretty much every day while losing. Now that I'm maintaining, I have 1-2 glasses pretty much every day. As long as you can fit your beverage of choice into your alotted calories for the day, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to still partake. That said, some people find that when they have a few drinks they tend to eat more as well, lowered inhibitions and all that.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Vodka is probably the lowest calorie hard liquor you'll find. Vodka and no sugar added cranberry juice, vodka and soda water, have a martini or vodka with a sugar free red bull. Red wine is the best thing to drink that isn't a liquor, certain white wines or sparkling wines may be even better. A good old gin and tonic or I like rum with coke zero.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    epizia wrote: »
    Tonic is a type of sweet soda and is loaded with sugar.

If you want to have something in your hand but don't really want to drink alcohol get a club soda with bitters and lime. Probably 3-4 calories at most.

+1: Tonic water tastes bitter, but actually has 10kcals of sugar per oz.

Wine, lite beer, pure spirits, spirits in diet soda or seltzer are all lower cal, but you can't get around the alcohol itself, which is 100kcals per 1.5oz shot. The problem I have is that it just makes me more hungry! It's easier to lose or maintain weight if you hold way back on the booze.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I enjoy wine, with spritzer, and ice. I have officially become my mother.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    lily083087 wrote: »
    Avoid beer, it's high in carbs.

Delicious, delicious carbs...

OP, there's nothing wrong with carbs or beer. Just watch total calories. There are lower calorie beers if you choose to go this path, such as hefeweizen, gose, milk stout, etc.

Me, I always make room for good beer. This is waiting for tonight:
    aOiFw7g.png

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Megan7146 wrote: »
    At a lot of places you can ask for just half the syrup in a mojito. This makes it slightly less sweet but limits the calories in the syrup to just 40 calories! The rest- lime, mint, soda water- are all naturally low calorie :)
    Or of course a gin and tonic!

Mojitos are one of my favorites - great idea
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    I'd recommend H20 on The Rocks - very refreshing.