Do you have a cheat day once a week/month?

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently (last week) had my first cheat day where I ate a lot of desserts throughout the day. I stayed below my calories though. Is this ok? The desserts weren't anything like cake, cookies, ice cream, etc. I'm allergic to dairy and wheat so basically what I did was eat a lot of dark chocolate covered nuts, dark chocolate coverrd peanut butter balls, dark chocolate covered ginger, dark covered coconut clusters, and dark chocolate covered cherries. It totaled to around 700-800 calories but my daily calories remained around 1500 and I'm still active. Is it ok to do this once a week, or every other week, or even once a month? On a daily basis I'll either skip dessert or have fruit (I love fruit) but every once in a while those actual dessert cravings kick in and since I'm limited on the types of desserts I'm able to eat for allergy reasons, I go for the dark chocolate. Opinions? Am female 5'7 and 118 pounds (I need to edit my MFP info). I have it set to lightly active since I do a lot of walking and I workout every other day. My calories are 1600. My goal is recomp because I'm still somewhat skinny-fat.

Replies

• VividVegan
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How is it cheating if you fit it into your goals? That's what many people do...some even have chocolate every night.

I'm asking because some people have told me it also matters what you eat. I'm trying to do a recomp but am new to a lot of this. I used to be anorexic.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yeh I have a cheat night once a week. I have too otherwise I would binge if I denied myself any treats. I'm at the gym a lot so I burn it off anyway.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    If you're goal is calories then you're fine, if you're wanting to receive sufficient macro nutrient goals, then you will miss out on protein for the day if it's considering of just dessert
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 118 pounds is skinny fat? According to every height weight chart you are underweight. That being said, if it fits in your daily calorie allotment, eat it, no worries. If that is you in your profile pic, I'm thinking you look great.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    How is it cheating if you fit it into your goals? That's what many people do...some even have chocolate every night.

I'm asking because some people have told me it also matters what you eat. I'm trying to do a recomp but am new to a lot of this. I used to be anorexic.

I'm a bit confused because you said your goal is recomp but 1600 calories seems pretty low for recomp given your stats. I also took a look at your diary and some days you only eat around 1400.

Anyway, it's not cheating if you're within your calorie goals. As the poster above me stated, you miss out on some protein, but that's about it.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    5'7" and 118 pounds is skinny fat? According to every height weight chart you are underweight. That being said, if it fits in your daily calorie allotment, eat it, no worries. If that is you in your profile pic, I'm thinking you look great.

She means "skinny fat" as in she not satisfied with the muscle tone of her body. People can be underweight but look heavier due to poor body composition.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I like my cheat meals/days. They keep me sane, and prevent a deprivation feeling induced depression..
  • VividVegan
    edited April 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

She means "skinny fat" as in she not satisfied with the muscle tone of her body. People can be underweight but look heavier due to poor body composition.

This! ^ I'm a size zero but I still have saddlebags and my bum and thighs have cellulite. Additionally, I have a small lower stomach pooch and my ribs slightly show. So does my hip bone :(
  • VividVegan
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »

I'm a bit confused because you said your goal is recomp but 1600 calories seems pretty low for recomp given your stats. I also took a look at your diary and some days you only eat around 1400.

Anyway, it's not cheating if you're within your calorie goals. As the poster above me stated, you miss out on some protein, but that's about it.

I'm trying to increase my calories more. When I was anorexic (around 2 years ago), I could only fit 600-800 calories per day and was full. So I think I'm making decent progress in terms of calorie consumption. It's not an overnight thing.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't have a restrictive diet. I prefer to eat what I want and fit it in my goals on a daily basis. I sometimes choose to eat at my maintenance level. It is not cheating.
    Eat a piece of chocolate every day if you like.
  • Rocknut53
    Options

I totally understand what OP meant by "skinny fat," I just fail to see from her profile picture and given her stats that she fits that profile. Being new to this site @FeedMeFish you might find this article helpful. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/
  • VividVegan
    Options

I totally understand what OP meant by "skinny fat," I just fail to see from her profile picture and given her stats that she fits that profile. Being new to this site @FeedMeFish you might find this article helpful. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/

Thanks for the compliment but unfortunately I do fit that profile. I have soft/untoned spots I need to work on. I may look slim but I'm not "solid" (which is my goal).
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It may be different for each person but for me cheat days are fine. Because I limit them to 1 day and spread them out in frequency. If your cheat day leads to another and then to additional cheats big or small then I can understand people that don't allow any.
  • jade516
    jade516 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cheat day once a week, but I still need to avoid certain foods or they'll trigger junk food addictions. It's working so far.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'm with this. I wonder if the solution is working more on maintaining (and possibly growing) lean muscle mass rather than focusing on solely on weight loss/calorie deficit. Kind of like Tom Venuto's Feed the Muscle/Burn the Fat book, the key to avoiding the skinny fat look is getting leaner, not being a smaller version of what you already are.

In regards to the original question, I try to look at my calories in terms of each 'week', not just daily. I don't have a planned cheat day/meal each week. But I'll plan ahead if I know I'm going off the wagon one day and 'bank' calories on the other day to 'burn' that day.

Everybody is different. But for me I know a regular cheat meal would turn into a cheat week which could easily turn into 'Ill start Monday.' But I still want to live life. I'm not going to completely deprive myself on special occasions, vacations, etc. Had a huge meal at a great restaurant for my wife's birthday blew the banked calories and then some. No regrets.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Skinny fat doesn't mean you're fat, it means you're skinny with no muscle tone.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even consider it a "cheat" day if you stayed within your calorie limit.

To answer your question, I don't see a problem with having a day like that every once in a while.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it isn't a cheat day or even a cheat meal if you stay within your calorie budget.

and chocolate covered nuts sound tasty! i had an extra half quest bar yesterday, and it was delish! once in a while, it's good to treat yourself - and if you stay within your daily calories, even better :)
  • Rocknut53
    Options

Skinny fat doesn't mean you're fat, it means you're skinny with no muscle tone.

Again, I know that. The woman in her profile pic obviously has muscle tone. She explained the areas that are troublesome to her and I gave her an MFP link that may help her. This link may help you understand, after looking at her picture, where I was coming from. http://www.superskinnyme.com/skinny_fat.html