Newbie runner - shoe help...

Okay, I'm 37 and have crept up to 19.5 stone.

I have a history of long distance running,but haven't run for donkeys years, I really want to get back into it, I used to love it.

I need to buy trainers. The sheer volume of choice is just astonishing...and bewildering!

Being a big fella, I'm thinking that some good supportive shoes will be useful, but I have no idea where to start.

Any advice, from anyone? What brand, what type? Anything I should avoid?

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Go get fitting at your local running store: runnersworld.com/store-finder
  • JuliaH728
    JuliaH728 Posts: 39 Member
    I don't know if Fleet Feet is a NC thing only, but they are the best running store. Not only do they do shoe fittings, but they have awesome training programs.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    JuliaHujar wrote: »
    I don't know if Fleet Feet is a NC thing only, but they are the best running store. Not only do they do shoe fittings, but they have awesome training programs.

Fleet Feet is great in the U.S. but certainly not the only choice. I use them plus 2 others in my area. I'm guessing the OP is not from America so he will have to find something local to him.
  • Ollyollyr
    Ollyollyr Posts: 11 Member
    That's fantastic, I will find a local running shop. I didn't know this was a service!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it's a great service and it's better to get good shoes now than to have to visit a podiatrist later :)
  • BrikcRunner
    BrikcRunner Posts: 18 Member
    I'm a heavier runner (200+ lbs) myself and highly recommend the Brooks Beast. I also have very wide and flat feet which isn't great for running but a good pair of shoes helps tremendously. I agree with other posters that the best thing to do is to get assessed at a good running store and see what suits you best.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    I have bad feet so Saucony and Hoka are the only two brands I seem to be able to wear, without causing lots of pain. I have fibromyalgia but refuse to let the pain stop me exercising. I have to slit an inch on the Hoka at little toe, along the sole, as one shoe is too tight and the next size up is too long. I'll buy mens Hoka next time as they're wider.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Ollyollyr wrote: »
    What brand, what type?

Both are very dependent on the type of running, the frequency and what your gait is.

I'm not as much of an advocate of shoe fittings unless you're having difficulties, but if you do have the option to go into a running shop then I'd go and get some advice.

I'd also note that recommendations are both very personal, and equally may not be relevant to the current generation of shoe. I now the transition for me between the 2014 and 2015 iterations of the Saucony Hurricane was quite unpleasant, they're a very different shoe with much more forefoot cushioning that I'm finding quite an uncomfortable ride.

I'd also note that in three years my shoe preference has moved on from a motion control, to a more minimal neutral shoe, as my running efficiency has improved.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I just switched from Brooks to Hokas because I need more cushion (high arch) but no correction. I did get fitted at the running store for both. I agree that getting a professional to make a recommendation is awesome. The best shoe is the one that feels good and the pros will be able to steer you in that direction so you don't have to try on a million shoes.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2016
    @Ollyollyr Being You used the term "19.5 stone" tells me you are from the UK.

As @MeanderingMammal said above The common thread/concept from everyone above is that what works for one person will be a disaster for someone else and will change as your Running abilities change.

A truly customer Focussed Running Speciality store should have a Treadmill and Video Camera's to record a short Test Run. The first time I had an analysis they warned me to come in athletic ( running ) gear and bring my existing athletic/running shoes ( Hard to run in a Suit/Dress ) . They had me run on the treadmill in my existing shoes and went from a slow walk to the maximum speed that I felt comfortable at. Then they had me dump the shoes and go barefoot and do another run. This allowed them to see how my existing shoe was changing my Gait and to see my Barefoot Gait. The main reason they wanted the existing shoes is they could look at the bottoms and examine the wear pattern which shows how you pushoff and land.
    They recommended a group of shoes and I did a walk test in each one - eliminated the ones that didn't feel right, had Heel lift, cramped Toes etc. The 2-3 pairs that passed I tried on and did another test run on the Treadmill. Had 2 favorite pairs and left with one. They never Tried to push the most expensive shoe on me which told me a lot about their ethics.

I now have 7 pairs of shoes. 3 in my summer rotation
    Newest shoe is only being used on short runs as I work it into rotation ( 5 - 10kms )
    Mid Mileage shoe is my Long run ( 15km+ ) and Race shoe
    High Mileage shoe is my mid distance ( 5-15km ) soon to be retired to 5km and then walking.
    I have 2 pairs in my Winter Rotation both Long Distance - one with integral Ice Spikes.
    2 summer pairs Brand New in the Box with 10-50km on them. ( 2 for 1 end of season sale )

I know of some runners who have 10-15 pairs of shoes in there Running Room Closet. Different Shoes for different things.

You can try this Search for Running Shoes. Its a common Question.