Cycling with My Dog.. Any Advice??

Options
Alsison
Alsison Posts: 609 Member
I would like to start cycling with my 1 year old Weimaraner and I am looking for advice from anyone who might already ride with their pooches...

What do you think??

Cheers,
Alsison

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    get a specially made leash that attaches to teh bottom of the seatpost.
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to ride with my Rottweiler. He was plenty big so I didn't have to worry about running him over, it only took a few trips till he got used to running along side and not trying to run across in front of me. I personally did it b/c he was so full of energy and I couldn't run with him so this worked. Warning though this does require a bit of balance and coordination as I had to ride one handed with the leash around my hand b/c I didn't want him to see something and pull the bike down in the process. I have two smaller (20# each) pups now and am looking to get one of those doggy trailers to pull behind my bike so they can enjoy the breeze after a nice walk and I burn some extra calories.

Good luck! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I thought you meant like this....

dog-rides-bicycle-o.gif
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I read a post from a vet saying running or cycling with a dog is not a good idea as they will keep going regardless and maybe over exercising themselves. I'd talk to your vet first.
  • Alsison
    Options
    HAHAHAHA... If I could only teach my dog to do that!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I run with my Weim. He's scared of bicycles, no way could I cycle with him!

They do tend to be a bit hyper, you'd need to be convinced he was going to freak out at a passing cat/ leaf/ puddle.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    And I suppose you need to make sure that he is enjoying it. If not- go alone and walk him separately.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    I did it with a mix breed dog and ended up in a cast with crutches and found out after the cast was off I ripped my acl in half and tore the cartilage in my knee; just because the dog wanted to chase a squirrel; and it wasn't the first time we went out it was the 3rd time.

So my experience with it isn't exactly the best and your dog is older so it might be a little harder; I'd also make sure s/he prey drive isn't extremely high, chases after birds, squirrels, ect...could be a recipe to end up like me lol. First I would maybe walk the bike with your dog just to see how s/he reacts to the bike. And look online for "contraptions" they have that attach to the bike for riding with a dog.
  • Alsison
    Options
    Oh my goodness Megs, that is horrible... I am so sorry you had to deal with that.

I have two Weims; Heidi is 7 and Dietr is just a year old. I want to start cycling with Dietr because he has so much energy that it is hard to get him enough exercise with walking alone. I have a bad knee and can't run so I thought cycling beside him would give him a chance to get up to a trot beside me.

I like the idea of walking the bike first to get him used to it and working towards the point that I can ride slowly beside him.

I will definitely keep a very close eye on him to make sure he is enjoying it and not overdoing it....

Thanks for your input :flowerforyou:

Cheers,
    Alsison
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Oh my goodness Megs, that is horrible... I am so sorry you had to deal with that.

I have two Weims; Heidi is 7 and Dietr is just a year old. I want to start cycling with Dietr because he has so much energy that it is hard to get him enough exercise with walking alone. I have a bad knee and can't run so I thought cycling beside him would give him a chance to get up to a trot beside me.

I like the idea of walking the bike first to get him used to it and working towards the point that I can ride slowly beside him.

I will definitely keep a very close eye on him to make sure he is enjoying it and not overdoing it....

Thanks for your input :flowerforyou:

Cheers,
    Alsison

Have you tried getting a chuck it or playing ball, I have a 3 yr old lab and that's the only things that works
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Riding with my dog is great....until he sees a squirrel.
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Riding with my dog is great....until he sees a squirrel.

This is why I couldn't bike with my dog now.. LOL She would kill me without any regards... SQUIRREL!! :laugh:
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oooh dont know about this,might be dangerous for both of you,he might get too much exercise or run after something and knock you off the bike!be very carefull!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Visit YouTube Dog carting. There are lots of good ways to combine dogs and cycling, but not simply leashing your dog to your bike. We harness ours to our recumbent trike for exercise. He loves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuOq94fCBYw
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    There is a guy in my neighborhood who rides a skateboard while his two Weimaraners pull him forward. It's not much exercise for him, but great for them, and it doesn't give me the heebie jeebies in the same way as bike+dogs does... At least if you fall from a skateboard, you can land on your feet.

Weimaraners are very high energy dogs, at least while young. Do you have a dog run nearby that you can take him to? Will he play fetch, on land or on water?
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Cycling with a dog can be great excercise but you really do have to look at a lot of factors.

First cycling with your dogs just by holding onto a leash can be SUPER dangerous so do look into an attachment for your bike. There is one called "walkydog" that I think gets good reviews but there are a lot of different brands. It keeps your dog at a safe distance from your bike and keeps your dog away from the tires so the leash (or dog) doesn't get run over or tangles in spokes etc.

Also dog will overdo it! Dogs like Weimaraners will go forever to please you so...don't let them do it. Always keep water on you and don't ever go faster then your dog (don't drag him along etc). Also too much pounding on pavement can be bad on dog paws ....even worse in heat. So if you have nice trails or something you can bike on that would be better.

As someone else also mentioned start off by walking your bike and your dog etc before just hoping on. This way he gets used to the idea.

Good luck!! Also if you are looking for other ideas Weimaraners love to use their brains! Sometimes this will tire them out as much as a run. Since he is young doing 30 min of mental training with a day will also keep him tired out..obedience, agility training, search games (hiding things and making him find them in the house or outside) etc are also good.

Have fun!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who shows Huskies. She does intense exercise with them by using a long leash ad running them around her in a circle while she stands in the middle.

It's this concept:
    prowalk2.jpg

She can't risk injury to a top show dog, and this works great, I've watched them do it. She keeps the dog at a trot for 15-20 minutes, then rewards with a ball.
  • Alsison
    Options
    I have a friend who shows Huskies. She does intense exercise with them by using a long leash ad running them around her in a circle while she stands in the middle.

It's this concept:
    prowalk2.jpg

She can't risk injury to a top show dog, and this works great, I've watched them do it. She keeps the dog at a trot for 15-20 minutes, then rewards with a ball.

That is a great idea! Thanks!!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i think it's a bad idea. it's very easy for a bike to get pulled over or off course. plus, how much control do you really have over your dog in that situation? no matter how well trained your dog, you can't say for certain s/he will never react suddenly in an unexpected way.

it's just not responsible to have a large, powerful dog and not be in full control.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Here's a link for the kind of bike we use. We have one dog, and mostly he trots beside while we ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi06SFswb7c