My heart rate

Options
2»

Replies

• DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have another question. Right now when I do the treadmill I set it to the Manual setting. Should I be using a different setting maybe Fat Burn or Cardio instead? :)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    dmarie203 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I have another question. Right now when I do the treadmill I set it to the Manual setting. Should I be using a different setting maybe Fat Burn or Cardio instead? :)

Manual is fine. That way you control the speed, duration, and the "tilt" of the tread yourself.

If you want to try one of the pre-programmed settings, feel free to give it a try. However, there is no need to do them.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You might also ask how high the HR got during the stress test - for comparison sake.

Sometimes they use 80% of estimated HRmax to take you up too - so not a true max test - but still - if you found out they saw no issues doing 150 say - then you know you have a good range to go before needing to even think about worrying.

This is good advice, since you have done a stress test. The formulas are pretty bad, even the ones that are more complicated than 220-age. They all tell me that my maximum HR three years ago should have been around 170-178, but I measured it at 192.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    You might also ask how high the HR got during the stress test - for comparison sake.

Sometimes they use 80% of estimated HRmax to take you up too - so not a true max test - but still - if you found out they saw no issues doing 150 say - then you know you have a good range to go before needing to even think about worrying.

This is good advice, since you have done a stress test. The formulas are pretty bad, even the ones that are more complicated than 220-age. They all tell me that my maximum HR three years ago should have been around 170-178, but I measured it at 192.

This! My stress test max showed it perfectly to be at my age-prediction, but I wonder if that's why they stopped me. A couple years later and I still see about the same or a little higher here and there on my runs. So pretty convinced mine is a little higher than my age prediction. Some people might be lower. Also, look up the "talk test". It's meant for running, but is a good indication of not pushing yourself too far. You should be able to speak a few sentences without gasping for breath.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

This! My stress test max showed it perfectly to be at my age-prediction, but I wonder if that's why they stopped me. A couple years later and I still see about the same or a little higher here and there on my runs. So pretty convinced mine is a little higher than my age prediction. Some people might be lower. Also, look up the "talk test". It's meant for running, but is a good indication of not pushing yourself too far. You should be able to speak a few sentences without gasping for breath.

It's been my experience that most places will not push you anywhere close to max on a stress test. Partly it's because there is no need since most people do a nuclear test or stress echo and both of those do not require a max effort to show diagnostic changes. And since exercise physiologists have been pretty much removed from doing these tests, no one cares about looking at functional capacity--they are more interested in avoiding risk.

There is a history of heart valve failure in my family, so I go in for stress echos every couple of years. They always get nervous because I won't hold on to the handrails. The last one I was in pretty good shape and wanted to max out if I could, since I have no idea what my max HR is anymore. I asked them before the test to please let me go as long as I could and let me tell them when to stop (unless, of course, there was some serious issue on the ECG). Things were going great but as soon as I started to push, I felt the belt and incline going down. I looked at the tech and she said "well your heart rate is at 80%, so we stop at that point". I was really ticked off--it was lower than many of my workout HR levels.

So, no, I would not accept a peak stress test heart rate as a "HR Max" number.