Will exercising give me more energy?

Options
I'm on disability for a nervous condition. I take meds that make me sleepy and I'm wanting to fight that because the Meds work great. I was told I was borderline diabetic and after I eat meals, I sometimes feel lethargic. I've been focusing on changing my carbs from simple to complex and laying off sugar. I've been drinking water for a week and no caffeine and I still feel tired. Because I'm an artist I paint a lot sitting down and spend hours a day doing so. I plan to put painting aside until I lose 70 pounds. I have a treadmill. Will pushing myself and using it everyday help give me energy? I was told that because i don't stretch or exercise, that's why I'm always so stiff and tired/sluggish. I also have PCOS which doesn't help. Thanks so much!!! ☺️

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Hi there. You've got a lot of medical stuff to deal with so I am going to ask you to be patient and kind to yourself during this journey.

How exercise will impact your energy level is hard to say. Right now it is exhausting me, but when I'd lost all my baby weight before, it did give me a lot of energy. Generally, good cardio-vascular health will do that, but it can take time. With your medication and other issues, you're going to need to start at a pace you can live with and see how it works out for you.

Please note, sometimes when you cut off sugar and caffeine you will feel really low energy. That passes, but it varies from person to person.

Please remember to eat in a way that both benefits your health but is also something you can live with for the long term. You're setting yourself up for a fall if you can't. You can lose weight and include things that make you happy.
  • benotnobodi
    benotnobodi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you girl!!! I'll keep that all in mind. I am on my husbands schedule so I get up at 1pm and go to bed around 5am with a nap in between and I'm wondering if going to bed earlier and getting up earlier will help as well. Idk. I'm just tired of feeling sluggish all the time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    If your fatigue is mainly medication related it is difficult to say whether exercise will improve it. However, it may help with your nervous condition so that in time the doctor can reduce or otherwise change you meds. Exercise usually will give more energy over time, but it will take patience. As for the stiffness that is difficult to say what the cause is. It could be lack of activity, only getting active over a good period of time (at least 3 weeks) will give an idea if it helps.

In terms of eating if you are pre-diabetic/borderline diabetic you would probably be well advised to cut back on carbs and yes, going to more complex carbs especially those that are combined with fiber would be a good idea. This is generally a good approach with PCOS as well.

When it comes to weight loss, what is most important is a calorie deficit. You would have been given a calorie goal when you put your information into Myfitnesspal (MFP). I would suggest you seek to stick to that goal measuring your food as accurately as you can and making sure the database entries you use match with the nutrition information of the food you eat.
  • benotnobodi
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thank you!
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would take it slowly. Being on a calories deficit and over working can make you even more tired. Start off slowly and yes, do stretching before and after you exercise. And make sure you're sleeping enough and take breaks. Try walking for 20 minutes 3-5 times a week. And see how you feel.
  • benotnobodi
    Options
    Ok great! Thank you!!! :-)
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    To seek advise here is not going to solve your complex medical issues. My late husband who was a physician who sadly passed away at a young age and he would advise you to seek the expertise and guidance of a physician. Trying to manage this be seeking advice here from non medical professionals could place your health at further risk.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thank you girl!!! I'll keep that all in mind. I am on my husbands schedule so I get up at 1pm and go to bed around 5am with a nap in between and I'm wondering if going to bed earlier and getting up earlier will help as well. Idk. I'm just tired of feeling sluggish all the time.

If you are able to get off this schedule, I would definitely recommend it. My husband works nights and he is always tired. A year or two ago he had a period of time where he was working days and the difference in his energy level during that time was amazing.