Plateau advice needed

Options
Hello all,
I need advice, have been losing around 1lb a week, up until about 4-6 weeks ago, now playing with the same 2lb up and down, the only difference is I have committed to exercise, and doing around 3hours a week of either speed walking or biking, was doing jogging, but knee started to hurt. My cals are 1570 per day, I have been eating back my exercise calories as I seem to be more hungry since starting the exercise. Woke up this am and up half a pound 192.1lb height 5,5" age 44years, Also, weighing weekly for a competition, not sure if that is playing with my head also, it is depressing. I know that I don't lose everyweek, the first 25lb came off, but not everyweek, takes about 2-3 weeks sometimes, this is the longest plateau, don't know what I should do, I don't like the eating back cals, because on the days I don't exercise, I now don't seem to have enough calories. Hope this makes sense, any advise, ?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    New exercise programs can cause you to retain water, masking weight loss.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The first suggestion I have is to track sodium. I put it in place of sugar on my log because it's of much more concern to me.

The other thought I have is that you might want to go to maintenance calories for a week or so and then switch back to a weight loss goal. That won't help your competition, though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First 1580 is a pretty 'high' goal without counting exercise calories, so you might be overeating. I had the same goal around your weight but I was 10 years younger. Did you change your goals to adjust to your 25 lbs weight loss?

Second, make sure you're not overeating your exercise calories. Do you use a heart rate monitor or just MFP? MFP often overestimates what you're spending.

Third, make sure you weigh everything you eat.
  • Jerrysdugan
    Jerrysdugan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Add more in the next block.
  • Jerrysdugan
    Jerrysdugan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just found this article by Mayo Clinic that explains the weight-loss plateau pretty well.

Mayo Clinic Staff. (2013). Getting past a weight-loss plateau. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

In short, it may just require a 15-30 minute increase in your exercise plan, or an increase in the intensity (as much as your body will allow).

I also ran into my own plateau for about 3-4 weeks at the end of May through most of June. The only adjustments I made was to continue working about 30 minutes a day, but I added an extra set of repetitions to my routine. In other words, I did not do anything drastic, and I stayed calm. Man, it required some patience though. I hope this helps.

Oh, and I'm trying to stay within a net range of 1540 calories per day. The only way to get through that is to burn at least 300 calories through exercise. I also do more standing through out the day. I have a desk at my office that is tall, so I can stand there instead of sit, and I take stairs instead of the elevator,etc., just little things to add more activity.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just found this article by Mayo Clinic that explains the weight-loss plateau pretty well.

Mayo Clinic Staff. (2013). Getting past a weight-loss plateau. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

In short, it may just require a 15-30 minute increase in your exercise plan, or an increase in the intensity (as much as your body will allow).

I also ran into my own plateau for about 3-4 weeks at the end of May through most of June. The only adjustments I made was to continue working about 30 minutes a day, but I added an extra set of repetitions to my routine. In other words, I did not do anything drastic, and I stayed calm. Man, it required some patience though. I hope this helps.

Oh, and I'm trying to stay within a net range of 1540 calories per day. The only way to get through that is to burn at least 300 calories through exercise. I also do more standing through out the day. I have a desk at my office that is tall, so I can stand there instead of sit, and I take stairs instead of the elevator,etc., just little things to add more activity.
    Thank you:)