Help!! Messing up diet every weekend :(

Options

Replies

• katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP, I always go over on my weekends so I try and eat a bit less during the week. I usually eat about 100 calories less per day so I've got more to work with on Saturday and Sunday. I also find I do more exercise, particularly walking, at the weekend. These help to even out the weekend splurges (but you have to log them! :smile: )
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    This is something most m of us struggle with at some point. For me, keeping my calories lower and not eating back more than 25-50% of my exercise calories during the week gives me some extra calories to work with on the weekends when I tend to eat out once or twice. I still order what I want - French fries are my favorite - but I eat about half the amount I did a year ago. I don't live my life in a structured way on the weekends and the way I've described has really worked for me consistently for a while now. You just have to find a way to make the weekends work a bit better, and not deprive yourself of things you love. You'll be less likely to succeed long term and deprivation may even lead to binges.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for nearly 3 years and I still suck at weekends. Honestly, I just try to eat maintenance most weekends. It means I lose much slower but I haven't found the willpower yet to say "no" to that extra beer when I'm at a calorie limit on a Saturday. I know for me it's totally a willpower thing. I'm all like "Everyone else is doing it." LOL.

If I know I'm going somewhere social I also try to do an extra long workout. Like this Saturday I went to a beer festival so I added some extra running Saturday morning.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but I know it's a 100% fixable problem on my part. I'm trying to bank calories during the week and work out extra in the meantime, but ultimately I know I need to limit the wine on the weekend. It sucks!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Just be honest. But not logging everything, you're really cheating yourself. At least if you log, you'll know how much damage you did.

I ate a lot this weekend so I made up for it by doing a little exercising. It was worth it.
  • reevess113
    reevess113 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance on the weekends also. And I plan most meals at home rather than going out. Saves money too!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Order a green salad starter, no dressing. By the time your entree arrives, you will feel less hungry and eat less of your entree.

Why do you even need a starter or an entree?

This^

Wouldn't the entrée give you more nutrition than salad....no dressing. I get cutting calories.....but this is cutting nutrition too.

I eat at maintenance on the weekends too. I also allow myself treats
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Bank calories during the week for the weekends (eat 100 less Monday-Friday so you have an extra 500 on the weekend, etc).

Just log what you're eating and be honest with yourself. I logged an entire pan pizza that I ate Saturday-Sunday. Who cares? Now I can go by my weekly calories and see what I need to do to even it out.
  • Lathandria
    Lathandria Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only way to stop overeating on the weekend is to just STOP overeating. I used to do this and sometimes I still struggle with it. (Like this weekend for instance, but it was my birthday so I had planned on it and banked some extra calories last week to help)

As far as the sweet tooth goes, I buy a lot of the Fiber One brownies or the Special K ones. They are 80 or 90 calories each and they help so much when I have a craving for something sweet! They taste pretty good too!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan so all of that is out of the question haha! But yeah I do need to walk more on the weekends, I can be lazy.
    My sweet tooth is usually my downfall, although I rarely have fizzy drinks and juices I can fall in to cake and sweets frenzy sometimes!

I know I'm going to eat more on the weekends so I exercise more those days.

I can have sweet tooth frenzy if I don't get enough protein, which is much easier for me, as an omnivore. Are you diligently working on getting enough protein? My healthy vegan friends make legumes and seitan the base of their diets.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm the same so far, I have about 4 weeks of good weekday behavior then it's all out by Saturday afternoon. Saturday AM is good most of the time, but then we get busy.

My plan for this weekend is to write a meal plan for the weekend and shop for it (we usually shop Sundays and my plan stops Friday night... why? No idea but that's a problem). So I either need to do a mid week shop or do a bigger trip for the week ahead.

Another strategy is a calendar reminder for Saturday morning to prompt me to snap out of mindless relaxing and remind myself to keep my eye on my goals in addition to enjoying my weekend with my husband.

The suggestion: pre plan all foods for the weekend. We don't eat out much, but from now on all my heavy dishes are home cooked so I have to order something light. So I go for salads. Or perhaps a steak with veggies, but I don't order pastas or anything that easily will go way over my limit.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Chances are that you aren't eating enough during the week so kind of binge later on. Probably need more water too?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I plan for it! I focus on weekly averages rather than daily goals. From a practical standpoint, I typically go under my calorie goal by 100 - 400 calories a day during the week (depending on how much I exercise), and then I eat 'em on the weekends! Lost 50 lbs and have been maintaining!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks, to be honest I usually forget to log on the weekends or I purposely don't because I know it's gonna go over haha. Maybe that's my downfall :s
    I'm usually very good during the week at weighing and logging. Xx

Whether you think you will or you think you won't, you're right. If you think that you'll go over on the weekends, then yes you'll go over. It can be helpful to recognize that's a choice you're making rather than something that's out of your control. Make a different choice. You may still go a bit over your goals, but I'd bet it's by a much smaller margin.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat. Pretending it didn't happen won't fool your body into losing weight. At least if you log it you can look back and see exactly what results you got from your choices. Make them conscious choices, take responsibility for them, OWN THEM.

If I am going to eat it. I am going to do it because I chose to do it, knowing full well exactly how it will fit with my goals. Since I chose to do it with full awareness of those things I can enjoy my meal without guilt.

I actually usually plan my high calorie meals to happen on days I know I am going to be extra active.

Also eat out less. Find other things to do on the weekend that don't revolve around food. Or plan activities that burn lots of calories so you can enjoy the meal. If you are going to eat out and spend the money at least make it worth it and eat something you actually like.
  • vegankid1990
    vegankid1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm vegan so all of that is out of the question haha! But yeah I do need to walk more on the weekends, I can be lazy.
    My sweet tooth is usually my downfall, although I rarely have fizzy drinks and juices I can fall in to cake and sweets frenzy sometimes!

I know I'm going to eat more on the weekends so I exercise more those days.

I can have sweet tooth frenzy if I don't get enough protein, which is much easier for me, as an omnivore. Are you diligently working on getting enough protein? My healthy vegan friends make legumes and seitan the base of their diets.

I usually exceed my daily protein goal. I think it's a bit of a myth that vegans don't get enough protein. Plant foods are packed full of it.

I wouldn't say I really crave anything it's more "oh I know that tastes good so I'll have it" haha so. Lack of discipline on my part.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Scroll up to see my post you missed.

I doubt she missed it look at the size of it.

She posted a few seconds after my post, so she wouldn't have refreshed the page and seen it.
    Order a green salad starter, no dressing. By the time your entree arrives, you will feel less hungry and eat less of your entree.

Why do you even need a starter or an entree?

You advocate daily wine and chocolate on a previous post and question why someone would have a green salad as a starter or an entree? Maybe the same reason as you because they enjoy/choose too.

I seem to have a fan club. :)

It's called "making room for the things you love".

Wanting everything on the restaurant menu (starter, entree, main course, dessert) isn't quite what to do if you're aiming to reduce calories.

Sure, have a green salad if you need the vitamins and carbs. That wasn't my query. But assuming you need a starter per se and entree as well as your usual dinner is why the environment is obesogenic.

Kind regards.
  • vegankid1990
    vegankid1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help and tips :) so this weekend I will test run logging absolutely everything I eat and I will try and hold back on junk if I can haha! The struggle is real! I'll also try not to eat back all my exercise calories so I've got some banked

Thanks again! You're all lovely! Xx
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this was mentioned: pre log your food but figure in some things you are looking forward to. That way it's still special and fun!