Please can someone explain to me

Options
rjs4swrwcycp.jpg

This is my daily allowance and I have tried so many times to stick to this. But to be truthful I dont understand. If you have 1260 calories for the day that I can understand, but what actually is the Carb/Fat/Protein figures. Are they out of your 1260 calories or are they a weight measurement. Sorry about this, maybe everyone else gets their head around this but I am really struggling.

Replies

• Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    They are grams of carbs / fat / protein. But beware this is not the total weight of a food. For example 100g of the greek yogurt I am eating right now has 8g of protein, 13g of carbs and no fat. So (8+3)*4= 84 calories
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The carbs/fat/protein are the amount in grams that you should eat of each to make up the 1,260 calories.
  • Clawsal
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1g of carbs or 1g of protein = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

So 158g of carbs = 632 calories
    42 g of fat = 378 calories
    63 g of protein = 252 calories
    Total: 1262 - which is your calorie goal (2 calories are a rounding error)
  • justinecroucher
    justinecroucher Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The carbs, protein and fat are how your 1260 calories allowance is split up into categories..
    So each of your meals are a percentage of each - you can keep it within target by adjusting what food you are eating.
    For example, bread, pasta and rice would have more carbs.
    [edit, as corrected]
    Protein would be higher in eggs or chicken. Whereas, cheese is a higher percentage of fats
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What they said above but to start off with don't worry about that stuff, just aim for your calorie goal. As you get used to that you will be able to start thinking about your macros (fat protein etc).
  • xxyohohoxx
    xxyohohoxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I understand you correctly, you want to know if the c/f/p goals are separate from calorie goal. In your calorie range, you will need to hit those c/f/p goals before you go for empty calories. It is a way to train yourself to avoid the empty calories (which won't satisfy your hunger) and go for nutrient rich items. Does that make sense? Anyone else have a different interpretation?
  • Clawsal
    Options
    The carbs, protein and sugar are how your 1260 calories allowance is split up into categories..
    So each of your meals are a percentage of each - you can keep it within target by adjusting what food you are eating.
    For example, bread, pasta and rice would have more carbs. Whereas fruit will be a higher percentage of sugar :)

Well sugar is a type of carbohydrate! The calorie allowance is split into carbs - protein - fat
  • Ruuffiiooooo
    Ruuffiiooooo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates, Fat, and Protein are called MACRO NUTRIENTS. By default I think myfitnesspal sets it so that 50% of your calories come from carbs, 30 from protein, and 20 from fat. You can change this from the goals tab from the 'my home' page.

I wouldn't worry about those at all. You can go into your settings and track other things such as fiber and trans fats instead if you'd like. Macro nutrient tracking is more important for people wanting to build muscle. If you are just interested in losing weight then pay attention to the calories and look at the other stuff just for the novelty of it.
  • justinecroucher
    justinecroucher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, sorry Clawsal! You are right.. Obviously too early for me to be answering questions
  • mo2go
    mo2go Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to say thanks for all the support and someone else replies. I so appreciate all your help. I have a figure of 47 for sugar but I dont have a problem keeping that down. My head is spinning with people saying I should have more protein and no carbs, or carbs and little protein. Thank you all so much . Every reply is so helpful and encouraging as I am really finding it difficult to drop any significant amount of weight. I am not in a quick rush want it to stay off but need to understand more. I am a 'why this' sort of person.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mo2go wrote: »
    I keep trying to say thanks for all the support and someone else replies. I so appreciate all your help. I have a figure of 47 for sugar but I dont have a problem keeping that down. My head is spinning with people saying I should have more protein and no carbs, or carbs and little protein. Thank you all so much . Every reply is so helpful and encouraging as I am really finding it difficult to drop any significant amount of weight. I am not in a quick rush want it to stay off but need to understand more. I am a 'why this' sort of person.

unless you have a medical issue, dont worry about sugar.

as someone else has said, work on your calories first, and then you can decide on macro (carbs/fat/protein) amounts that suit you best.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    mo2go wrote: »

For weight loss eat to your calorie goal. Other than that it is preference and what works best for you.
    I do recommend trying to get the amount of protein MFP suggested to you because it will help you feel more satisfied. I find if I am getting enough protein, getting several servings of vegetables or fruits a day and sticking to my calorie goal then the rest just kind of takes care of itself
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    What they said above but to start off with don't worry about that stuff, just aim for your calorie goal. As you get used to that you will be able to start thinking about your macros (fat protein etc).

This. Weight loss is about calories, not macros.
  • ThunderZtorm
    ThunderZtorm Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Very generally: Don't worry about those numbers initially. Focus on calorie totals.

If you exercise a lot, you will need to make sure you at least get enough protein, though. But I've so far been pretty spot on with what I regularly eat and getting a proper mix of the macros, and I haven't even tried.