Alternatives for pushups due to injury?

Options
I have a permanent wrist injury that prevents me from putting weight on my wrist or even bending it to do pushups; anyone have suggestions for alternatives i can do?

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sadly most alternatives still require the use of the wrist, the main ones ie. chest press, bench press need strong wrists. Have you tried incline press ups? They incline will ease the weight on the wrist.

I think you best option would be to seek some kind of physios advice, wrist straps/padding may be needed to prevent further damage. I just cant see upper body workouts being sustainable with a permanent injury to your wrist, you'll likely just cause further damage. That being said it depends on the severity of the injury.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    As @JoshuaMcAllister states - your options are very limited.

Swimming using breast stroke will work the chest and triceps

The only specific chest exercise (and it is not a direct replacement to push-ups) that I can think of is the pec-deck:

g6graygo2drz.jpg

and, unfortunately not all pec decks have this type of grip. if yours has this type:

r0cjy2qhlkn7.jpg

you will still be out of luck.

Since this injury is permanent and causes you exercise limitations I think you should be working with your doctor or physiotherapist to determine which exercise you can safely perform.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    there are ways around bending your wrist, such as holding dumbbells on the floor . And have you tried wrist wraps to help with support . You should consider the bench press or dumbbell press and you can just use the right amount of weight that does not aggravate your wrists, since pushups can be a lot of weight on your wrist depending on how much you weigh.