Being weighed at the doctors...

Options
124»

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by the number of people in this thread who seem to believe that there's some kind of clinic scale conspiracy happening.

Me too. And I'm still failing to see why this is such a big deal to the OP. Like I said, it's a number to put on your chart. It means nothing in the total scheme of things.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use the doctor's office scale as a guide to see how accurate my home scale is. I went to Dr last week, weighed myself fully clothed at home, didn't eat or drink anything in the car on the drive there and when I went in, his scale is 1 lb different than mine. I'm OK with that because it means my home scale is pretty accurate
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Next time, tell the staff member that you are not getting weighed today. (Problem solved.) :)

If I was the staff member I would say you are not being seen today in that case.

You would deny someone medical care because they don't want to be weighed?
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Funny I should see this today and I was thinking about the same thing since it was my day for my yearly checkup. With my shoes, clothes and all the stuff in my pocket on I weighed 11 pounds more than I did at home. It bothered me that that would be what's recorded, but didn't think it really mattered because I knew what the reality was. I surmised that they allow a certain amount for clothing etc.

11-lbs is quite a difference. At our age, it just so happens the insurance gets involved in regards to "healthy bmi" vs non-healthy, insurability, stats, etc. I think if it were me, I would've said something to the tech/nurse writing down the # minus the clothes on. Could make a difference too in any prescribed medication.

That's just my own opinion, tho. (I got nailed by a car so now all my personal private medical records are out there for God & everyone to look at, and it just bugs the crap out of me to see the weight listed....even the hubs doesn't get privy to that!)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Actually, as sad as it is, "most people" aren't as honest as you'd think. It's the same reason they give me a pregnancy test every time I've been to the ER, even after I've told them there's no possibility that I'm pregnant. If you're still in a healthy weight range and your Dr isn't chiding you, I wouldn't worry about it. He knows food and clothing has weight, there's a good chance that your question merely surprised him into a nonsensical answer.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think you needed to vent..that's cool. But this really is a non issue..IMO, don't be embarrassed by having 140lb written when you actually weigh 135lb, and don't let anyone, even a doctor, patronize you about something so trivial =).
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hmm....this is all so bizarre to me....based on the number of responses here my experience is clearly not the norm, but I've never been weighed at the doctor's office for just general visits....and I was 300 some-odd pounds once upon a time...so it's not like I was just normal and therefore they felt they didn't need to. The only time I ever had to weigh was a couple times through the process of testing to become a kidney donor when they had to send my weight to the transplant hospital so they could determine my likelihood of getting diabetes and decide if I would be an appropriate candidate for donation.

I will say that, because I was still overweight when they sent my paperwork, but I had lost 30 pounds in the month and a half since they initially weighed me and was obviously trending down quickly, I did want them to weigh me again and put down the new number before sending it off to the hospital since it would affect whether or not I'd be allowed to give my dad the kidney. They weighed me...the nurse wrote it down....it never got put on my chart. So the transplant nurse called me from the hospital a few days later to say it wasn't looking good because I wasn't losing enough weight....I was like DUDE, I went from 220 to under 190 in just over a month...AND 2 weeks of that was a vacation. normally people GAIN weight on vacation. She had no idea, because MY doctor's office fudged it up. Good thing they called to discuss it rather than just saying I was going to be denied
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    I use the doctor's office scale as a guide to see how accurate my home scale is. I went to Dr last week, weighed myself fully clothed at home, didn't eat or drink anything in the car on the drive there and when I went in, his scale is 1 lb different than mine. I'm OK with that because it means my home scale is pretty accurate

This morning my wife weighed naked at home, then went to the doctor and weighed fully clothed. The weight was actually the same. Perhaps something wrong with the doctor's scale.